Questions, hopefully easy to answer!

I have been out of the game for years now (moved and gave away my tank) and I am now working on setting up my BioCube 29Gallon I just got.

on week 2 I put in 30lbs live rock, and 30lbs live sand, then let it cycle, 2 weeks later put in a bunch of hermit crabs, then a month later put in livestock. I put in 2 clownfish, an anemone, a coral banded shrimp, a few frags, and an anemone (over 2 more weeks)

Now I'm at the point where the corals are doing amazing, the coral banded is doing fine as well. the clownfish are swimming around at times but won't eat for some reason. I can get the female to eat a little bit of mysis shrimp but only the really little pieces, but the male won't eat at all. My anemone is also dying. (I'm not sure what type of anemone is, it looks like a natian pink tip but it's shorter and purple tipped)

my readings are
nitrate 0
nitrite .25
ammonia .25 (it's been 0, just spiked i think because i put 7 different types of food to try to get the clown to eat)
salinity 1.025
phosphate .25
PH 8.4
Calcium 340 mg/L

Other than the ammonia and nitrite being a little high (I did a water change after replaced 3gallons) What would cause the anemone to be dying, and my clowns to not eat? they've been in there for a week or so now.

Thanks!
-Nick

one-fish

Newbe here myself but think to much livestock to soon may have contributed. Just finished cycle couple months ago wanted to add anemone w/my clowns but research said to early and high intensity light is needed for optimum growth. Read anemone dying can produce toxins..would goggle just trying to help my .02

lmforbis

Anemones need very intense light and very good water quality. Usually they aren't recommended in a new tank.

florida joe

IMO there is not such thing as a little ammonia it is ether detectable or not. if you are detecting ammonia in any amount that's where you have to look as the primary reason for your issues

Jesterrace

The ammonia and nitrites are definitely the culprit. In a tank with properly cycled rock and regular water changes you shouldn't have any of either of those and you should have detectable nitrates. How often do you change your water and how much do you change out? 3 Gallon water change is pretty small for that size of a tank. I would say about an 8 gallon every couple of weeks would be right for your tank.