Questions on refugium(new to salt water!!!)

Jittabug88

I have abag of live sand but it's different from the pool filter sand im going to use in the main tank. Could i put the live sand in my refugium to help kick start my cycle(along with my dry rock) or do i have to put it in the main display?any help is appreciated. Thanks y'all

beaslbob

actually either or.

I would make sure the refugium is full of macro algaes to create a much safer quiet cycle than the aerobic bacteria ammonia->nitrite->nitrate type cycle.

Jittabug88

I've heard most sand has silica and that it wasn't too bad to use it. That it could cause a few issues but it is being used in thesaltwater world not just thefreshwater. I have it on 6 of my 9 freshwater tanks and loveit because of the large grain size vs something else cheap like play sand i just think the pool sand looks great. But yeah that's all freshwater i wasn't 100% about salt water and i keep hearing mixed reveiws , some say yes its fine some say that the silica will cause majorissues .

lmforbis

Silica sand is fine in fresh water. The argonite (calcium carbonate).helps with the buffering of the water (keeps pH constant) helps keep calcium and carbonate levels constant, etc. silica sand will cause you all kinds of issues starting with diatoms that never go away. they will cover everything with a nasty brown layer. On the subject of diatoms. Make sure you use only reverse osmosis/deionized water. tap water is full of silica.
you can get argonite sand in different grain sizes. From super fine to coarse. I prefer the coarser sand. Stay away from crushed coral. That is too big and causes it’s own issues.