Quick cheato question

jimmy40741

I know a guy who is going to give me a sandwich bag of cheato, but I don't have a sump or a fuge to put it in. Couldn't I just put it in a breeders net that I am not using and let it hang on the side of the tank? I'm thinking this would allow it light and flow while keeping my tangs away from it.

florida joe

Look into an in tank refug they are small with a dedicated power head to give you good flow. If you like pm me for a link

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Jimmy40741
http:///forum/post/2625424
I know a guy who is going to give me a sandwich bag of cheato, but I don't have a sump or a fuge to put it in. Couldn't I just put it in a breeders net that I am not using and let it hang on the side of the tank? I'm thinking this would allow it light and flow while keeping my tangs away from it.
yes you could do that but the down side would be the breeder nets fine mesh cuts down flow through the cheato and cheato wants good flow for optimal growth. next time you go to the grocery store look in the toiletries aisle for little plastic soap dishes with high sides that are perforated, they are only like 2 bucks and the bigger holes allow better flow.

reefmate75

you can make a hang on fuge...cheato dosent need alot of light but alittle standard bulb will make it grow and just run a power head from your tank to the box and have it overflow back into the tank...you could do as you asked but you want a good deal of it for it to benifit you at all and with good flow NOT fast like on SPS but you want to keep the water changeing out as it takes toxins from your water as im sure you know

jimmy40741

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about placing the breeders net under the return on my Remora Pro skimmer, giving it plenty of flow.
On the idea of a HOB fug, I have a HOB filter that is made of clear plastic that should allow in pently of light. I could hang it on the back and run a power head to it, or just use the impeller from the filter for flow. The only problem though is that I have a 4 foot long tank (75 gallon) and one side is filled with 1 HOB filter and the skimmer, and the other side has another HOB filter leaving me only about 6-8 inches of open space, which I am using to hang my heater and penguin powerhead. So I don't have the room to hang anything else off the back of my tank.

jimmy40741

Originally Posted by nycustomsumps
http:///forum/post/2626975
you can also just add it to your DT
it can be removed easily if needed.
But wouldn't my tangs devour it in no time? I have seen videos of other people's tangs slurping cheato down like spaghetti.

A

alexmir

i dont think that any fish mess with chaeto. so i wouldnt worry about it. And if they did decide to eat some, it would grow back in not time, and would be a free meal!

nano reefer

go to wal-marts (the largest employer in 21 states) and buy one of those soap bar holder for the shower. they cost 2 bucks max and hold the chaeto.

mumbulog

I used the breeder net twice for both my tanks while I waited for the hang on the back fuges to arrive and it worked great both times. My fuge grew well in the weeks time. When I think about it, if enough flow can travel through the net for a fish to live, why won't chaeto.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by mumbulog
http:///forum/post/2648649
I used the breeder net twice for both my tanks while I waited for the hang on the back fuges to arrive and it worked great both times. My fuge grew well in the weeks time. When I think about it, if enough flow can travel through the net for a fish to live, why won't chaeto.

I never said it wouldnt live.... I said for optimal growth you want good flow through it.