Quick Ick question for experts!!!

drysummer

I have some of my Tangs showing signs of Ick. Can I do hypo in my tank? It is FOWLR. I really only use the live rock for looks, and what biological filtration it adds. My main filtration is a fuge with livesand and caulerpa, along with a wet/dry sump with bioballs. The system has been running for about 4 yrs. I can separate the sump from the main tank while I do hypo, but will it be ok to do it with the liverock in there?

squidd

The lower salinity of Hypo can be detrimental to the higher lifeforms on and in your live rock...the bacteria will survive, but micro flora and fauna will suffer and die out may occure...this can then lead to excessively high ammonia and nitrite levels in your tank, as well as lower the biodiversity inherent in LR...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If all you have is LR, no inverts/corals, then you can move the LR to a square rubbermaid, add a PH or 2 and heater to keep the LR healthy, then you can perform hypo in tank. As long as you don't have a dsb.
You can not add any meds. You will need to add some pvc, or fake corals for comfort spots for your fish, in the absence of the LR.