really want to get into corals

along

i really would like to get into some different corals but dont have the money to buy a high power light i was wondering if with the current lights i have now ( 2-17 watt 50/50 flourecent bulbs) could i do something. if so could you guys let me no what i could purchase.... thank you

along

30 gallons i have two hang on the back bio wheel filters which total 550 gallons an hour my parameters are good i have good water flow two power heads one on each side of the tank.
ph 8.2
ammonia-0
nitrates-0
nitrites-0
i just did this test
temperature- 79 degrees
i do about 10 percent water changes once a week
i have plenty of live rock in the tank as well
thank you

snakeblitz33

Thank you for what, I haven't said anything yet! lol
If you want corals, buy a reef master test kit...
Test:
Phosphate
Alkalinity
Calcium
You will have to know these parameters and perhaps make adjustments before you know if you can add corals or not. You will also need the test kits to regularly test the water just in case something does go wrong, you know you have a test for it.
IF your water parameters are as such and have tested today - then it looks like you are in good shape.
There's not really anything you can add at the moment with the lights that you have. The only thing you could really try right now are Non-photosynthetic corals like an orange sun coral or a black sun coral - but those have low survival rates for beginners.
It's best to save up for a proper lighting system first, so you can keep a wider array of corals. Also, once you upgrade your lights, you are going to get an algae bloom most likely - if your nitrate and phosphates actually are detectable. You will have to deal with the algae problem in the tank before you add corals.
more to come, just got to take a break.

btldreef

Definitely need to know what your phos, alk and ca numbers are.
Mushrooms would probably be okay, and are a good starter coral. You might want to look into some non photosynthetics like sun coral, which are fairly easy to care for (but need to be fed) and save up for a better light.

snakeblitz33

xenia does well in aquariums that have moderately high nitrate and phosphate. No nitrate, no xenia. lol. I've heard that it does better with just a little more iodide dosed in the system.

along

ok i will go and get the reef test kit... the thank you was in advance... hahah :rotfl: but what makes sun corals difficult for beginners? the feeding or water quality? would sponges do well? As for lighting i have no clue what they mean with spectrum or wattage per gallon? clueless. what would be a good light setup for a 30 high?

btldreef

30 highs can be tricky to get lighting all the way to the bottom. A good 4 bulb T5 fixture would probably work, but LED's would be better.
Sun corals are difficult because they have to be fed. The key is to buy one that you can see be fed in the store, as some can be tough to get to accept food. If your patient with them, and offer food consistently at the same time every day, they can be trained though, and I don't find them that difficult. Mine open the minute I add food for the fish, and then I just squirt food towards them too, they eat like pigs.

1guydude

ya it helps to cover em with a top of a plastic bottle to keep the food away from the shrimps and crabs too....
wat about duncans? These are similar to the sun corals...
kenya tree are easy peasy... try some leathers too...
i wasnt fond of the leather corals at all till i got a freebie from a friend and now i really dont mind it. Its actually kinda kool!

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by along http:///t/388236/really-want-to-get-into-corals#post_3422841
ok i will go and get the reef test kit... the thank you was in advance... hahah
but what makes sun corals difficult for beginners? the feeding or water quality? would sponges do well? As for lighting i have no clue what they mean with spectrum or wattage per gallon? clueless. what would be a good light setup for a 30 high?
A four bulb T5HO would be perfect for your tank. Nova Extreme makes some pretty good ones. Get one with individual reflectors and maybe even try to find one that has moonlights. You won't be disappointed.
Sponges are great! Just don't expose them to air, and put them in a moderate flow area with plenty of food.

along

[COLOR=FF00AA]Please do not post competitor sites...you can posta pic of the item though (Meowzer)[/COLOR]
ive heard that 30 highs were tough to light i just thought the lfs was trying to make a buck with the "breeder tanks" so they called them
and 1guydude the different things you said would they be good in my tank with the lights i have or after i get a 4 bulb light fixture .
i love sponges there neat.
sorry i didn't realize i couldn't post a link to another site i should have thought that through....
what about this one
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/Marineland-Reef-Capable-LED-Light-18quot-24quot_p_5065.html

1guydude

try those with the current lights u have. I like the aquaticlife t5s! Those wave points are okay but you cant control two lights at once instead of all four, most have seperate plugs so u can do a dawn/dusk effect. Also no Leds for moonlights.

along

OK ill try the things you stated.... I'm still way confused one the lights I'm really marine light illiterate. there's so much out there to buy. the leds, should i get one or four of them . t5 ho 4 or 2 bulb it doesn't make any sense in my mind. :sad:

along

ok here are the water test results i had these done at my lfs i watched them do them and apparently my test results were wrong since yesterday.
PH- 8.2
AMMONIA- O.PPM
NITRITE- 0.PPM
NITRATE- 20.PPM ( I JUST DID A 7 GALLON WATER CHANGE)
KH- 12
PHOSPHATE-1.0
CAL- 17
SALT WAS 1.023

1guydude

phosphate seems high...wat kind of water are u using?
Wats a cal of 17?!?! Should be between 380-460ppm
Wat kind of tests were they using? Maybe its the test and the end results are read diffrently..
u want a 4bulb t5 unit with the reflector in the shape of VVVV so u get as much light as u can out of it! The leds are just used as the moonlights so at night u can enjoy the tank still...2-4 of those will be fine!

along

They were using api test kits. I think it was 17 drops till she got the right calcium reading? I have no clue?
I use ro water. When I first set the tank up I didn't no tap water was bad for salt and I cycled the tank with that could that still affect the water quality but since that first time its been ro water.
I did see a light that i liked it was a 4 bulb solar extreme t5ho they had it listed at $199.00 is that a good price?

1guydude

never heard of solar extreme...but if its got a reflector shaped like VVVVV than ya its not bad priced.
17 drops would mean 340ppm and thats not that low but a bit low...if u dont have any SPS or much LPS you chould be okay till ur next w/c...
i didnt know anything about tap water not being kool either when i 1st started! No worries...