red fire shrimp

jay0705

Hey folks. Iam looking mainly for info on compatibility of these guys w other shrimp. Pep, skunks mainly.

bang guy

They will eat other Shrimp that are much smaller. Otherwise they get along fine. They are naturally nocturnal though so if you want to ever see them you'll need to hand feed them during the day.

jay0705

Now is it true all shrimp will eat smaller shrimp or are fires more likely? I only asked bc my large skunk never bothered my much smaller skunk.

Kwassing

I have a fire shrimp, with a skunk cleaner, 4 pep shrimp, and a camel shrimp, he is larger than all of them and doesnt bother anyone. Him and the skunk hang out together alot of the time doing their sway. But as in anything, theres always a chance you get that one *ahole* that goes against the norm lol. They are all in a 72 flat back hex. Both eat right out of my hand

Last edited:
I have a coral banded shrimp and eat all my peppermint shrimp, skunk shrimp but he dose not mess with the fire (blood) shrimp don't know why but hes doing fine for 3 month now :cool: I cant get rid of the coral banded shrimp his big and beautiful had him for over a year

Kwassing

coral bandeds are normally aggressive towards other shrimp. Normally. I have to trade my off so that i could get skunk cleaners and peps.

ClaptonsGhost

After 9 months my fire shrimp, Stinky, just died. Went from perfectly healthy and following his normal routine to dead. Can't figure it. It definitely wasn't near the end of its life span of 2.5 years when I bought him.

jay0705

Hmm I just lost a pep shrimp a few days ago myself. My skunks are all good cleaning away. Idk

bang guy

After 9 months my fire shrimp, Stinky, just died. Went from perfectly healthy and following his normal routine to dead. Can't figure it. It definitely wasn't near the end of its life span of 2.5 years when I bought him.
I'll assume we can rule out starvation and osmotic shock. They are very sensitive to toxins, any chance of that? Excess Iodine is what kills most of the ornamental shrimp early.

ClaptonsGhost

I don't put anything into my tank other than trace elements and PH and Calcium replenishments, which I've been doing for months. No iodine.