Red Slime algae in sump?

hawkfish203

I have noticed a lot of red slime algae growing in my sump. Should I treat the algae or should I leave it? There is none in my DT. THANKS

yannifish

It's in your sump? Are you sure it is red slime algae (cyanobacteria?)?
My understanding is that cyano doesn't like water movement, and sumps have all kinds of water movement.
Can you get a picture?

btldreef

I agree with nycbob. If it's not in your DT, don't stress too much. I have it in my refugium, and that's where it stays, it's even in a really high flow spot of the fuge...

hawkfish203

Seems to be getting worse and now there seems to almost a reddish brown muck forming on top of the water in the sump(looks the same as the algae but thinner). Not enough flow? Any Ideas?

btwk12

my whole fuge is covered with a layer of cyano, because i have a turf scrubber in there and the lights run 18 hours a day. but i just turn my return pump off when doing water changes and clean it out. never had a problem with it so far

hawkfish203

Yea it seems to be the same red color but looks like a film. The slime seems to be getting all in the chaeto as well. I just cut the time down on the sump from 12hrs to 8hrs to see if that might help. I have to do a water change next week so when I do that ill see if I can't skim some of it off.

liadb

Same here. I know this is an old thread. My sump has black walls. Doesn't get any light except some red led from my algae scrubbers. My filter media is saturated with the stuff. It is below the skimmer intake, and doesn't appear in the DT. I do get a rust color on the glas that doesn't come off easily, by I can get it off without damaging coraline. I'd say there is easily one to two inches of the stuff at the bottom of the sump. It's like ghostbusters pink slime.