Red Spots in Fuge

spnohio

I have culpera groing in the sencnd chamber of my fuge and lately i have noticed some red spots---- is this red slime? How do I know if the culpera is healthy and thriving or not?

florida joe

Originally Posted by spnohio
http:///forum/post/2690828
I have culpera groing in the sencnd chamber of my fuge and lately i have noticed some red spots---- is this red slime? How do I know if the culpera is healthy and thriving or not?
Can you post a pic of hte red spots. if the Caulerpa is green and growing its healthy just look for signs of it going sexual

spnohio

I have the same red spots. How do I know when the culpera goes sexual? Should I take it out? Can I get a plant that is better for the fuge? will the fish eat the culpera?

flricordia

Yes, careful with calupra. I had a 10gl fuge full of it long time ago before I discovered cheato. It went asexual and luckily I caught it in time and shut off flow to display before any real damage was done.
Can happen in the blink of an eye it seems. It will look like it is melting literally. It is a mess. 86 it IMO and go with cheato.

florida joe

IMO I would not jump the gun on getting rid of the caulerpa. It is by far the best algae to use if you want to harvest and get rid of nitrates. I also had the red spots on my refug after investigation and getting some help from the good people on the boards im sure it is in my case a form of coraline algae. PM me for a link to pics of caulerpa going sexual so you will know what to look for.

spnohio

I have never used pm on here, but i did see a pic of culerpa going sexual. Can you tell me on here? or post a link? how do you know its healthy and growing?

florida joe

Originally Posted by spnohio
http:///forum/post/2694265
I have never used pm on here, but i did see a pic of culerpa going sexual. Can you tell me on here? or post a link? how do you know its healthy and growing?
your last word is the key if its growing its healthy they will usually go sexual if they are not getting enough nutrients or space to grow

florida joe

Yes the caulerpa is an alga that stores nitrates; you export the nitrates by harvesting the caulerpa. When you harvest it put it in a zip lock bag and in the freezer for a day to kill it before you throw it out