Reef First Aid Cnidaria envemonations

oscardeuce

The Cnidiarias are the corals, anenomes and jellies that we keep in our tanks. Their method of envenomation is throught the activation of stinging cells called nematocysts. When activated they inject the venom into the skin. Nematocysts can be potent for weeks even if dried out.
Envenomation is followed by pain rash and itching. Only the Box Jellyfish has a specific antidote.
Treatment would be to rinse off the affected body part with saltwater. The use of freshwater will stimulate the nematocysts to fire. Using gloves or tweezers remove all parts of the animal that can be seen. Vingar (acetic acid) can then be used to deactivate remaining nematocysts. Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol may also be used. The venom is heat labile, however my sources did not recommend heat treatment for this type of envenomation. Next shaving cream, baking soda, or tacum powder can be applied to the skin and a razor used to remove remaining nematocysts. Discard the razor as it will carry nematocysts.
Benedryl can be taken to relieve itching and tylenol/ibuprofen can treat the pain. Any signs of severe envenomation, shortness of breath, trouble swallowing, lightheadedness, dizzines should immediately be evaluated by the nearest Emergency Room!!!!!!

robchuck

oscardeuce,
This is great and concise info! If you don't mind, I would like to print this out, laminate it, make my wife aware of your advised treatment, and keep the sheet handy near my tank.

oscardeuce

RobChuck
All are welcome to this info. I am glad to help. Yes keep it handyand check out my other posts.

spsfreak100

oscardeuce,
You stated here:
Any signs of severe envenomation, shortness of breath, trouble swallowing, lightheadedness, dizzines should immediately be evaluated by the nearest Emergency Room!!!!!!
Many times after vigorously handling and fragging SPS corals, I'll often feel dizzy and lightheaded roughly several hours after I've stopped handling corals. My question is this: Are these reactions immediate, or can they happen suddenly thoughout a period of time?
Thanks,
Graham

oscardeuce

SPSfreak,
My guess is you suffered from low dose exposure. Those reactions are usually dose dependant, and can be delayed in low dose exposures. Anaphylactic shock is not dose dependant and is immediate. The other reactions may take some time to show. Protect yourself with gloves.

spsfreak100

oscardeuce,
Thank you very much for your prompt response. One last question: Can a person faint or loose consiousness from the lightheaded and dizzy feeling?
I've seen many different doctors within the past year for this issue and all found nothing to be visibly wrong -- I never thought to take the nematocysts into consideration. Thanks again for your help, I've printed out this thread already as it comes in handy.
Thanks and take care.
Graham

oscardeuce

Without reviewing all you results and exam, I would not be too suspicious of the corals as the root of your problem as you would need a pretty hefty dose. However, you may be exceptionally sensitive to the venom. I would look into other things first

rwillo

Thank you for the useful information. So my question is... what is the best way to handle anemones and coral? Is it by wearing rubber kitchen gloves?
Thanks again.

oscardeuce

At a recent conference, treatment with warm water is now being recomended. It was found to be the fastest way to relieve pain over the other treatments. They used volunteers and placed jellyfish tenticles on their skin1!!