Reef Octopus classic 100 hang on back protein skimmer by Coralvue

Tom18202

Hi All,

This is my first protein skimmer so i apologize as i have no idea what i am doing in terms of the protein skimmer. The manual is next to nothing(only assembly and and plug in and let fill).

I was hoping someone here could help me.

I have found online the break in period of this skimmer is ~3 weeks. However what am i looking at/for during this break in period? Currently i have been tinkering with the air intake but it does not seem like it does anything with the silencer cap. am i missing something? I have a boat load of microbubbles and no foam(basically just a fiz like the top of seltzer if you sack it up.

I get this may be normal for break in but should i be looking at something to know it is functioning properly or progressing? when do I know it is broken in and when do i assume it is broken and contact vender?

Any help at all would be great as this is my first protein skimmer and i want to make sure it is working properly.

lmforbis

There is a rubber gasket around the collection cup. You move that up and down to adjust the height of the cup to adjust the skimmer. For a HOB skimmer this one works pretty well.

Tom18202

I know the gasket. But until form no point in adjusting i just concerned i dont have setup correctly as during break in i cannot tell.

lmforbis

If you are getting bubbles I'd just give it some more time. Is the tank new? What is it stocked with?

Tom18202

6 months old: 2 occ clown, 1 bicolored blenny, 1 cleaner shrimp, condy anemone, marble star fish, brittle sea star, new yellow tang just added, hermits and snails too.

lmforbis

I'd just give it some time. They aren't as good as the in sump skimmer but mine did a decent job on my 40 gal.

one-fish

Like Imforbis said give it some time and don't keep adjusting it leave at one setting and check its progress then fine tune from there. I just got one and it took a couple days before I started seeing tea color in the collection cup. Just my .02 If you are not convinced about it operating properly I would not run it unmonitored I turned mine off the first night until I was satisfied .....first time using one myself.

Tom18202

Yea for me, outside of a thick dark form collecting in the collection cup i am not sure what i am looking for.

Over 6 hours last night my cup filled with a very light tan water. So i moved the collection cup up. This way at work it does not overflow.

As i said i am just seeing fizz on the top layer not foam. It has only been running for ~56 hours so i am giving it time to break in.

one-fish

Sounds like your on your way, contestant water level is important. Mine is in my sump and had to raise it for optimal performance. When its working properly you should have a dark liquid w/small chunks in the collection cup.