refugium flow rates

joerdie

Hello again. I am setting up a 200g reef and wanted to turn my sump into a refugium. But to turn the tank over 5+ times an hour I would need to flow 1000+gph. Is this to much water flow for a refugium?

joerdie

WOW under 100gph? If i do that ill need another system entirley. Im not sure if its worth it. Bentrue, do you use one what else do you use?

broomer5

Hi joerdie,
Welcome to the board.
If you are interested in keeping your current sump setup, and adding a very inexpensive refugium to your 200 reef tank - let me know.
All depends on if you are into DIY projects or not, and what sort of outcome you are looking for.
You can keep your flowrate up high for your tank, and steal a little flow from the return line to go to an under tank refugium - if you have room under your stand of course.
Let me know - be glad to help you plan it out and discuss if you want.
See ya

bentrue

you could keep your sump and add a refugium onto it like broomer was saying. I have just a refugium and a much smaller tank than you, but i will tell you what i have done, it works for me.
i have an overflow box that takes water through a 1" pvc down to my 10g refugium. i have a maxi-jet 600 to pump the water back up to my show tank through .5" pvc. i placed a ball valve in the return piping so that i can restrict the flow of the return to get my gph down through the refugium and so i could get a good level in my show tank.
this was the best thing i have done for my tank. no algae in my show tank, and my refugium is completely hidden in the stand. i am having a small problem with the water lever going down faster than i would like in the refugium and i don't like the way the overflow box looks hanging in my tank.

nm reef

Sounds to me that broomer has the right idea for your particular system. With a high volume sump all you need is to tee-off a line to feed a refugium...this could be done and you'd be able to have a restricted(low flow) thru the refugium and at the same time keep a high enough flow thru the sump to maintain your 5x per hr circulation. My refugiums are gravity return...and I do advise a relatively low flow rate. If I was working with a 220 gal system I may be inclined to have 2 seperate refugiums along with a high volume sump....and a closed loop return with sea swirls. To tell the truth your options are only limited by your imiganation!!
Listen to broomer...he'll be a huge help if you decide to tee-off a seperate refugium.
I'd also like to welcome you to the board...and keep us posted on your decision and progress. :cool:

joerdie

Hello everyone! to answer golfish, I live in mason just south of kings island. I normally do my shopping at Just about Fish Whitch is acually raelly close to my house and I also go to all about pets on reading road. I like to go there because he always brings the price down from whats marked. If you want to get phone numbers just ask.