Regarding ich

gm875

Hey everyone. Just had a question regarding marine ich. I have a 29 gallon FOWLR. Just a month ago I added a blue chromis to tank which already had 2 clownfishes from before. A week or two later, I had an ich breakout which affected the blue chromis and one of the clownfishes, both didn’t survive. My question is regarding the single clownfish which I have right now. It never got affected by ich. I am thinking of setting up a completely new tank, If I was to introduce that clownfish into the new tank setup, would I risk infecting the new tank with the ich parasite? Any suggestions?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you run the risk of infecting the new tank. If your plan is to set up the new tank now, best bet is to do so and use the 29 as a permanent QT for new fish. You could remove the existing live rock and QT them for 6 wks before adding them to new tank. All you need is a rubbermaid container and a pump for the LR. Maybe add artificial rock in the QT and keep the clownfish in there for observation to see if she develops ich. QT clown for 6 weeks. If she develops ich, then treat using hyposalinity. In future, all fish must be appropriately QT-ed to avoid contamination.

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/c/index.php/articles/content/hyposalinity.100

gm875

If I turn the 29 gallon into a quarantine, would I need to remove the substrate too? I have been running a HOB filter as well, should I continue to use that for the quarantine? Also while observing the clownfish for 6 weeks, can I add another fish to the quarantine during that 6 week period or should I wait to finish observing the current clown? Sorry for asking so many questions, I really don’t have much experience with this.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It is best to have little or no real rock (and no LR) and little or no sand. The reason for this is because these porous mediums will extract medications that you may need to use in the QT in the future. LR can not be used because it is alive with many micro organisms. Subjecting LR to QT treatments will be fatal to these creatures and the die-off that will result will pollute your QT. If you want to use some LR to keep your QT cycled while it is dormant and without fish, you can, but then I would not replace that rock in to your display. It can be easily taken care of in a cheap rubbermaid with a pump, feeding the rock every few days with fish food to keep it "live". If you do decide to keep LR in the QT during the dormant stage, then remember to do a major water change on the QT if medications were used.

It is best to not QT more than one fish at a time. The reason is that QT is more than just for treating an obvious sick fish. It is also a place for fish that may already be sick when you get them (such as the fish that you introduced in your tank that had ich) and fish that are stressed a calm resting place to recoup from illness and stress. In other words, finally get healthy for their final home in your disease-free display tank. Also, your QT will be a stripped down tank. Sources for natural filtrations, such as live rock and sand, will not be present. So, you seriously need to keep your bio-load down to avoid ammonia and nitritie spikes.

HOB is perfectly fine as long as carbon is not used when and if you need to use medications. Like live sand and rock, carbon will absorb medications which will compromises dosing your QT to meet therapeutic needs. However, after you have finished QT-ing a fish and QT is empty, it is a good idea to use carbon filters, and change frequently, to flush out the medications.

We are hear to help out so ask all the questions you need to.

gm875

You just made everything so much more clearer for me, really appreciate it :)
So since this clown was symptom free, can I actually start meds to treat it just incase? or is it best to just wait it out and see if any white spots show up?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Wait it out. Meds have the potential to have ill effects so best to avoid them if possible. Also, if this or any fish have ich, I'd recommend hyposalinity (links provided in first reply).

gm875

Thank you, I’m going to give it a go.

Also I had a question about my current clownfish. She seems to have a hole on her dorsal fin, it’s been there for a while now, maybe 3-4 months but doesn’t seem to be healing. She behaving normal though, eating well, any idea what it could be?

Attachments

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That looks like another fish took a bite out of the fin. Quality and varied foods. Use of zoecon or selcon supplement on meaty foods. High quality water.