Rekindling my saltwater tank

HeathS

Greetings everyone. I had a 55 gallon saltwater tank about 20 years ago. Recently I decided to start the hobby again. I bought a 36 gallon with a stand (on sale at ***** for $125 for both...I couldn't pass it up) and set it up. Filled it up with tap water, got the salinity level perfect and let it start to cycle. The local saltwater store owner slapped me (literally) for using tap and not getting a RODI unit (I didn't know). so I got one from her and have done two 5 gallon water changes in 11 days. Still waiting for the cycling to finish per her advice and instructions...such as place a raw shrimp in there to boost the ammonia, then the nitrites and nitrates will stabilize...and so on. But here is what I want to ask. I'd like to get a dog faced puffer but what, in your opinion, are good matches to with it? After this tank is done, I plan on having a 300 gallon custom installed in the other room. Can't wait! It's gonna be a long year thinking about it!

jay0705

No puffer in a 36. It will destroy your bio load in the tank. Damsels, are your best bet until you upgrade. Unfortunately a 36 is a small sw tank.

HeathS

The 36 is just a review for me. I wanted to remember what I forgot and to learn what has changed since I had my 55 gallon sw 20 years ago. My custom 300 gallon will be ordered next spring / summer.
A mistake I know I made was not changing out 10 gallons instead of 5 at a time. Now that I have the RODI unit, I understand that had I done all 36 gallons with it, I'd have fish by now.
Ill do some more research on the puffer. But If I have to wait until my 300 is done, then I guess I'll wait.
Can I put bamboo shark and puffers together? Or is it lionfish and eels? I need to find a marine comparable chart.

Last edited:

jay0705

Basic rule if there too big to fit in its mouth your ok. Puffers,lions, eels , certain sharks are fine