Removing purple mushroom coral from a rock.

xeanliao

I have a rock, that have a few fan worms about 1-2 inch wide when they opens, since last year mushroom coral grows on the rock, they grows so quick, so many and so big. They are blocking the tube openings. One of the worm actually left the tube and disappeared.

What is the best way to remove these mushroom corals. I tried to crap one off, but in a month, it grows back. I want them gone but not harming these pretty feather duster fanworms. What would you do?

silverado61

You need to scrape part of the live rock off with it. If you leave even the smallest part of the mushroom flesh behind it'll keep growing back. That's why a lot of people like them. Me being one of them. They're pretty much bullet proof for the most part.

xeanliao

You need to scrape part of the live rock off with it. If you leave even the smallest part of the mushroom flesh behind it'll keep growing back. That's why a lot of people like them. Me being one of them. They're pretty much bullet proof for the most part.
you like them? I wish I know how to get them off and give them to you :)

Cut them off seem easy, scraping ... can i use tool brush instead of chisel?

silverado61

Anything metal you use should be stainless steel and not have been used for anything else but fish related. Other than that I guess you could use a tool brush.