researching topic before purchasing...please give info..

bigfish77

I am avid freshwater guy but really itching to start a saltwater tank. Been debating on FOWL tank or possibly a clown invert type tank. I would dedicate either a 90 gallon or 4 foot 120 gallon tank to this project. How much lighting will be needed for something 20-24 inch tall? What is best anemone for clowns to host? Do I need to stay with only one species of clown per tank and if so what species is most communal? I would love to have a small school of 4-6 clowns and possibly 1 larger open water swimming fish. I know most basics for salt but the lighting is a major question especially since new LED etc. Any advice thanks.

lmforbis

As far as lighting it does depend on what yo keep. A quality 8 bulb T5 would be good for an anemone. Some of the better LEDs are good but can get really expensive. I use Kessil LED lights. They work well for me but pricy. I've been buying them one at a time.
Bubble tip anemone would be a good choice most clowns will take to them. You shouldn't add an anemone until your tank is at least 6 months old. Clowns don't need a nem so you can add later.
Only one species of clown and really only 2 of one species. Clown fish are all born male and the biggest one turns female. When you buy them you want the smallest you can get. They don't school and generally one pair is all you can keep. My recommendation would be either oscelaris or percula.
I would suggest you also set up a quarantine tank for new fish. A 10 gallon with a sponge filter and heater will do the job. Salt water fish are susseptabile to a number of parasites that can wipe out the whole tank if one infected fish gets in.

bigfish77

is it possible to house 2 maroon clowns together or will they fight? I read they are more aggressive and get larger then the percula and oscelaris. When you say 8 bulb T5 what type of bulbs are you suggestion? actinic blue and daylight etc? how often do they need to be changed in comparison to LED set up?

jay0705

Yes a pair of maroons can be kept.HOWEVER lol buy them already paired. They mature early so ,two females will always fight. Clowns are born male,so once they turn it's too late. As far as other tank mates when hosting a nem, which they do readily their aggression level does go up. Keep that in mind. I love my maroon, but I keep it single and w/o a nem. Doesn't bother it's tank mates at all.

lmforbis

T5 bulbs should be good quality. I like Geissman or ATI. they need to be changed every 9-12 months. LED bulbs don't need changing.

bang guy

I agree 100% with Jay.

A female Maroon will claim about 8 square feet of area for their nest. In contrast, a Percula will claim about 2 square feet and an Ocellaris about 4 square feet. The end of the tank away from a Maroon Clownfish pair is mostly safe but if she decides to claim the middle of the tank she will harass any fish in the tank at any time, double harassment if there are live eggs near the nest.

Since you're fairly new, in my opinion, an Ocellaris pair has the best chance of success for you. It will also allow you to have other tank mates that can coexist peacefully with the Clownfish pair like a Flame or Coral Angel and a couple other smaller fish.

Hold off on the Anemone, they are not as easy to care for as it would seem. The Clownfish will do just fine without an Anemone.

bigfish77

Thanks for all the input. I am still throwing tons of ideas out there to see what I would want first. Its hard to decide of course my likes go in stages. I am burned out with freshwater and really want the challenge of salt and am in a place where I can afford it now. Such a difficult decision between fish only tank and some fish and mild inverts. Currently I have a 180 gallon fresh stocked with over 20 large hap cichlids all colored up. Of course I love the fish which are hardest to keep or hardest to keep in a nice community setting. Thats always an issue..

jay0705

Thanks for all the input. I am still throwing tons of ideas out there to see what I would want first. Its hard to decide of course my likes go in stages. I am burned out with freshwater and really want the challenge of salt and am in a place where I can afford it now. Such a difficult decision between fish only tank and some fish and mild inverts. Currently I have a 180 gallon fresh stocked with over 20 large hap cichlids all colored up. Of course I love the fish which are hardest to keep or hardest to keep in a nice community setting. Thats always an issue..
Idk if I would call sw a challenge. I honestly think it's more initial work but long term maintenance is easier then fw.