Return Pump for a 210 Gallon?

triggerfre

Just ordered a all glass 210 gallon drilled with overflows. I am going to run a sump/refugium with a protein shimmer ( type to be determined yet ). It iss going to be a fowlr aggressive. I am looking at getting a sequence pump fpr a return do to there low energy cost.Which of these 3 models would you recommend and why.Also what other type of equipment recommendations do you guys have for me. Here are the three pumps i am looking at;
Sequence Snapper- 2400 gph
Sequence Dart- 3600 gph
Sequence Barracuda- 4500 gph.

scsinet

Originally Posted by triggerfre
Anyone else!!!
None of those pumps are designed for return pump duty. They are low speed, low pressure, high volume pumps, primarlily designed for closed loops where the inlet and outlet bulkheads from the tank are the same size as the pump inlet/outlet. While they may work, their low pressure duty means that you will probably suffer considerable flow loss, depending on your return plumbing configuration.
I did a lot of research into Sequence pumps as I wanted to use them for a return on my latest project. I spoke to a few members of my local reef club who have done actual reviews of the entire lineup of squence and have an "in" with the manufacturer and they gave the same concerns. I just wish I could remember exactly what they told me. Apparently it's something about the way the pump housing is designed that they achieve the super high flow rates and super low energy loss, but it's very difficult to get that flow into the tank.
Anyway, the Tarpon, Wahoo, or Marlin would be a better pump for this purpose. I ended up settling on the Wahoo.

yerboy

i run 2 Gen-X PCX-40 1190 GPH pumps for return on my 265 and i havent had any trouble with it at all.

jonny

i believe i got mine setup with a mag 24 its doing very well for me. i just put a little extra hose in the trip back up to make a little drag control for the flow and my tank has great flow.

triggerfre

Well the head guy at my local fish store has a snammer on his 180 and he said that that is plenty for a return pump and that it would be fine on my 210, but he said i also might like a little more flow and that i could go with a dart. But i am worried that the dart would be too much for the 2 overflows to handle and the tank would overflow.
Originally Posted by SCSInet
None of those pumps are designed for return pump duty. They are low speed, low pressure, high volume pumps, primarlily designed for closed loops where the inlet and outlet bulkheads from the tank are the same size as the pump inlet/outlet. While they may work, their low pressure duty means that you will probably suffer considerable flow loss, depending on your return plumbing configuration.
I did a lot of research into Sequence pumps as I wanted to use them for a return on my latest project. I spoke to a few members of my local reef club who have done actual reviews of the entire lineup of squence and have an "in" with the manufacturer and they gave the same concerns. I just wish I could remember exactly what they told me. Apparently it's something about the way the pump housing is designed that they achieve the super high flow rates and super low energy loss, but it's very difficult to get that flow into the tank.
Anyway, the Tarpon, Wahoo, or Marlin would be a better pump for this purpose. I ended up settling on the Wahoo.

triggerfre

Mag pumps are twice as expensive to run as sequence pumps.
Originally Posted by psusocr1
get a submersible mag drive.. great pumps, easy to care for and not noisy at all..

psusocr1

they do two totally different things and have totally different uses.. IMO thats why.... especially if used for cloose loop, i can definantly see they use less since they have gravity on their side, obviously making it easier to pump/ no head etc..

triggerfre

I am not looking for a closed loop pump only a return pump. And that is what my head guy at my local fish store is using ( sequence snapper ) as a return pump, and that is what he is recommending to me.

S

shark bait

I run two little giants in my 330 and push about 2000 gph 1/2 sump and 1/2 closed loop. I put a foam pad under them and the niise is just the woosh of air. Easy to use, and great pumps. I also like the ehiem 1262 1000 gph, it is in my sump but is also and external if at any time i want to put my skimmer external. Lust dont' by a small chhep unit spend the money to get a pump that is bulit for what you want.

scsinet

Originally Posted by triggerfre
I am not looking for a closed loop pump only a return pump. And that is what my head guy at my local fish store is using ( sequence snapper ) as a return pump, and that is what he is recommending to me.
Just be advised that your LFS guy is going against the manufacturer's design and specs in his choice of pump. The low speed squence... the snapper, dart, etc all may well work in your application, as well as his, but all I'm saying is that you may consider taking the manufacturer's design into consideration.
The biggest thing you need to be sure of is that the inlet and outlet are not constricted in any way... they have something like a 1.5" inlet and outlet, so be sure that your tank has drains and return of the same size or be prepared to take a huge hit in flow and electrical efficiency.

lesleybird

Hi, I use two mag 9.5 pumps by Suprime on my 190 gallon. I like them as they are quiet and are suppose to be energy efficient. I ran my 90 gallon for 3 and a half years straight with one mag 9.5 and I never took it apart to clean it or anything like it said and it is still running but I am no longer using it as I thought it was better to get two new ones for my new 190 gallon tank. Lesley

1fast300zx

get a submersible mag drive.. great pumps, easy to care for and not noisy at all..
As said above, MAGS are great pumps. I have a Mag12 on my 125 as a return and its been flawless for a year now.

peter1215

i have a mag24 on my 210 and it seems to be a bit noisy. do you think it could be that im using 3/4' pvc on my retunr thought the pump has a 1' outlet? I put a 1"-3/4" reducer on the outlet . i used 3/4' on the return b/c thats the size of the intake bulkhead. i was thinking of putting a 1' pipe then putting a union halfway up to 3/4. you think ths may help?

badboyj

Originally Posted by peter1215
i have a mag24 on my 210 and it seems to be a bit noisy. do you think it could be that im using 3/4' pvc on my retunr thought the pump has a 1' outlet? I put a 1"-3/4" reducer on the outlet . i used 3/4' on the return b/c thats the size of the intake bulkhead. i was thinking of putting a 1' pipe then putting a union halfway up to 3/4. you think ths may help?

I have a mag 36 on my 215 with hoses and yes it is noisey also