Ribbon eels

clown4life

Other than really hard to get to eat are they safe for a reef tank. Yes they get really long but their head stays pretty small. I know a guy with one and he has one in his 150 tank and it's about 2-3 feet long he doesn't have a reef set-up but it's eating just fine. It is the Black ribbon, which one is the most hardy? blue,black,or white?

spanko

Quote:
"Rhinomuraena species, the Ribbon Moray Eels. Ninety nine percent plus do not live a month in captivity. Most starve, refusing all food. Next most common category of loss is escape through the smallest of top openings, or plumbing. Last is "simple stress".
The written record shows some people's success with netting food and eel together and shaking, training on select live skewered items; but most black to blue to all yellow female ribbon morays perish within a short while. You've been cautioned."

aquaknight

Black ribbons are juvenile males which turn into Blue ribbons, which are adult males. As I understand it, large males turn into females, which have a really weird green and yellow coloring.
Ghost ribbons, or white ribbons, are a different species (Pseudechidna brummeri) then true ribbons (Rhinomuraena quaesita). They have about a better record then ribbons, but nothing signficant.
In the wild ribbon eels try and 'snear' small fish. In captivity they seem to do fine with small fish, simply because they are refusing to eat. About 90% die within the month due to refusal to eat. The other 7% or so die within a year due to malnutrition because they only eat ghost shrimp and freshwater feeders.
If you are still not put-off, let me know, and I'll sent you some of the ways I've seen their success (which doesn't evolve a reef unfortunently).

clown4life

Well like I said the best way is to watch the people at the LFS feed it and if it doesn't then better luck next time.

clown4life

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2699336
Black ribbons are juvenile males which turn into Blue ribbons, which are adult males. As I understand it, large males turn into females, which have a really weird green and yellow coloring.
Ghost ribbons, or white ribbons, are a different species (Pseudechidna brummeri) then true ribbons (Rhinomuraena quaesita
). They have about a better record then ribbons, but nothing signficant.
In the wild ribbon eels try and 'snear' small fish. In captivity they seem to do fine with small fish, simply because they are refusing to eat. About 90% die within the month due to refusal to eat. The other 7% or so die within a year due to malnutrition because they only eat ghost shrimp and freshwater feeders.
If you are still not put-off, let me know, and I'll sent you some of the ways I've seen their success (which doesn't evolve a reef unfortunently).
Succes as in they are alive or succes as in failure, a waste of money and a hole in the backyard? lol

clown4life

Because most ribbon eels do not live longer than a month in captivity, some feel that this species should never be purchased. Ribbon eels have been observed in nearly every case to stop eating after being captured. Although there are reports of ribbon eels surviving and eating in captivity for 2 years or more. But most don't survive over a month.
With proper sized tanks, water flow, and depth of proper sand they can be kept for much longer in pairs.
I guess I have to get two now.

texasmetal

I already posted this in your other thread but in case you don't look at that one...
Blue, Black, and White ribbon eels are all the same, just different phases of their life. So hardiness is nill between the 3. White is juvenile.