Rock ?

Juj

I have had about 30 lbs of rock in my tank with unpluuged everything for about a year My question is how do I get it up and running again? The rock has been covered with unfiltered water the whole time Pls HELP!!

Alex.M.

To be honest, if the water was still standing and you haven't touched it, added anything or taken away anything, I would wash it very thoroughly. put it in a black bag and put it in direct sunlight for a month. The rocks wont be Live Rocks any more but just from experience, your tank most likely has some new additions (algaes, water fleas, bugs, parasites,etc) that you most likely do not wish to deal with. I would start over from scratch and clean everything thoroughly with hot fresh water and sunlight.

Juj

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me! I realize that I have to take the rocks and sand out and clean the tank

Alex.M.

My parents had a freshwater tank that they let sit in the garage for like 3 weeks before they got around to cleaning it. It was a rough cleaning process! LOL gravel is the worst! If you plan on using anything from inside the tank, I would stick it in the sun for a week or longer. (the rocks need a month due to being super porous). I only suggest using the sun because its free and works 100% of the time where chemicals not so much.

What do you have in mind for your tank if you dont mind me asking? Reef or FOWLR or FO?

Alex.M.

I LOVE FOWLR! my tank is a FOWLR, currently in the process of being set up. Would love to see a picture of the tank design when you finally have to set up! Good Luck and happy reefing