RODI

lmforbis

Don't add your old sand. It will cause problems. If you transfer everything else from the 37 into the 75 you should be fine. Even if you aren't going to use them long term, transfer the filters too.

ok thankyou....the original tank already has that same old sand with some new is that going to be a problem....I may need to get more bagged live sand though as i was counting on that old sand for the new tank but that is ok on my end.....just another bag or 2 just to give me what i like to have in there....i got that old sand from a person who when out of the saltwater fish for a break

lmforbis

Just get a couple bags of dry argonite sand, you don't need live sand. Be sure to rinse the dry sand really good. You can add a cup or two of the old sand to seed the new sand. Be sure to add your rocks first then sand. You may not need as much as you think. I only used 60 lb, 3 bags, when I moved everything into my 120.

Jesterrace

would it be worth it to just get ready made saltwater for now and then make my own for water changes
Unless your LFS charges an arm and a leg for it or is really far away, I would definitely say yes. My LFS is literally 1 light down from my house and sells pre-mixed salt/RO Water for 75 cents a gallon and regular RO is free (which is used for topping off the tank). I know in the long run it is still a bit more expensive than an RODI system, but honestly the hassle factor for me just doesn't make one worth it at this point. My tank is 36 gallons and I do about a 10 gallon water change every 2 weeks (until my Protein Skimmer arrives). The problem with an RODI system, outside of the initial cost is that you always have to keep in mind that you produce about 3-4 gallons of wastewater for every good gallon of RODI and the process takes hours to produce even 10 gallons worth. This is to say nothing of the hoses rolling garbage cans, etc. required for the process. For a guy with little kids it simply isn't practical. And having to only lug 2 5 gallon jugs a short distance isn't a big deal either. It's just a matter of figuring out what makes the most sense to you.