Saltwater tips

A_fisch

i have a 75gallon salt water tank that has been up and running for about 4 months now. I have 2 clowns,1 banghi cardinal , 1 cleaner wrasse, 1 blue hippo, 1 flame angel , 2 skunk cleaner shrimp and 5 snails. Recently I had purchased 1 blonde naso tang, 1 blue throat jaw trigger and 1 powder blue tang. The blonde naso tang died after 6 days, the powder blue died after 5 days and the trigger died after 2 weeks. What may I be doing wrong. What could cause this

A_fisch

Honestly way too many fish for that size tank.
Oh alright. I bought the naso tang and trigger together , when the naso died I replaced it with a powder blue then the powder blue died and a week later the trigger died . Sorry I didn't specify, still too many fish ?

Last edited:

jay0705

Realistically yes. There large fish that need lots of oxygen in the water. The tank is very young pretty and well stocked already. The hippo will out grow the 75 in time. With the exception of the trigger none of those fish are "easy" to keep. I have a naso and he's a tank but he's in a much bigger aqurium.

lmforbis

Agreed.
A couple of those fish are very prone to certain diseases and without a proper quarantine period they can easily have brought in a disease.

A_fisch

How long should a fish be quarantined ? They were qt at the store before they were brought to the house. They were qt in a copper treated tank at the store

jay0705

4 weeks is standard. Now qt at the store is fine, but the second new fish are added with them the qt starts over

A_fisch

What if they aren't qt in the same tank at the store ? Or are you saying when they are introduced to the tank?

lmforbis

Say the fish store puts a couple fish in a tank with copper. Those fish need 30 days of copper at therapeutic doses to kill velvet and ich. If two weeks into the 30 days another fish is added to the tank the QT clock is started over. If the level of copper falls below the therapeutic dose it starts the clock over. I don't trust fish store "QT"s. Many run either low salinity or low dose copper. That can mask the signs but it generally won't eradicate the disease. If i QT my fish I know exactly how they were treated and how long.

jay0705

Agreed with above. Next time ur at a lfs pay attention to the lay out of the tanks. Most have sumps for multiple tanks. Often inverts are in seprate tanks. Due to the fact they run copper. Now copper does work, however its lethal when added too heavily or certain fish just don't handle it well. So stores will run it but at a low dose

one-fish

Assuming you have been testing your water parameters and keeping a consistant PH and Temp. Observation of your livestock is essential, eating habits, aggression, how the fish swims and breathes will give some clues. Good Luck....