Scooter Blenny stopped eating

solly

I have had my scooter blenny for about 2 years in a 35 gal FOWLR tank. He has always eaten both frozen and pelleted foods well, as well as hunting the LR for pods. Lately, he has lost weight and just sits in one place most of the time and ignores the food at feedings. I don't see any obvious signs of disease or injury. He is one of my favorite fish, with his cute little personality (that he used to have, anyway). Should I assume that he is at the end of his natural life or is there something I should be doing for him? The water tests fine and I haven't added any new fish or water treatments, etc.

btldreef

Are you seeing pods? A 35G FOWLR can quickly run out of pods for a scotter blenny. You might want to try restocking the tank with more pods. Although he is accepting frozen and pellets (or was) they NEED pods in their diet.

solly

I will order some pods and restock and check after dark tonight, as I haven't checked lately. I do have a pod "breeding station" in the form of some filter media stuffed under some LR rubble. If its not too late for him :(

flower

You might try a HOB refugium to restore pods to the system and keep him in supply. Otherwise you will be buying pods almost weekly. Also Scooters won't eat if they are harassed by other fish.

solly

I would be willing to try the HOB refugium. I don't think he is being harassed. I've never witnessed it and the same fish have been in there for quite some time, just him, a blue hippo tang, a yellow tang,a clown fish and CUC. In regards to the HOB refugium, any suggestions for a good one? I appreciate your help. He is, unfortunately, looking worse by the hour, and I don't think I will replace him, even though I really really like him. As you can see, I have quite a load on a small tank.

solly

They are probaby 4-5 inches long. I know they need a bigger tank and that is on the "wish list". My other tank now is only a 46 and it is already stocked and has a tang in it so they can't go there. For what it's worth, they seem happy and healthy, play with each other all the time.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly http:///forum/thread/383067/scooter-blenny-stopped-eating#post_3347623
They are probaby 4-5 inches long. I know they need a bigger tank and that is on the "wish list". My other tank now is only a 46 and it is already stocked and has a tang in it so they can't go there. For what it's worth, they seem happy and healthy, play with each other all the time.
So if you lived in a 2x2 room....would you be happy?
I don;t want to sound rude.....but I probably will.....You have no business keeping any tang in a 35G..OR A 46G.....IDC if they are babies.....BUT yours are not....you say they are 4-5"
how happy could they be...this is just irresponsible
IMO you should give them away....or trade them to someone who has a MINIMUM tank of 100G

solly

Yikes! Nothing like getting attacked when you're looking for some help on what is supposed to be a friendly site. My nail place has a huge tank. I will ask them if they will take these two.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly http:///forum/thread/383067/scooter-blenny-stopped-eating#post_3347673
Yikes! Nothing like getting attacked when you're looking for some help on what is supposed to be a friendly site. My nail place has a huge tank. I will ask them if they will take these two.
Wasn't trying to go on attack mode.....sorry, BUT......we are here to help.....to advise.....and to offer strong opinions when something is really not right
you will get excellent help here.....and you will also get strong opinions.....

luvmyreef

Ofcourse, as I am typing, Meowzer is beating me to it...lololol Anyways, I am sure they didnt mean to come off that way. But indeed, tangs need lots of swimming room, and they add a large amt to your bioload. Even if you dont decide to give them up, (it will be hard, cause they sure are pretty), I would def think that your wishlist needs to come true...and this just gives you a reason lol. I agree with what you have been told about the blenny. Unless you have switched brands of food or anything?? Add more pods and if he makes it, a small refugium to keep up with the demand, and macroalgae is a plus too.

teresaq

I too was not trying to attack, Just stating facts about fish that should not be in such a small tank. Your blenny may be off his food because of your tangs. They are constant swimmers.
T

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly http:///forum/thread/383067/scooter-blenny-stopped-eating#post_3347595
I would be willing to try the HOB refugium. I don't think he is being harassed. I've never witnessed it and the same fish have been in there for quite some time, just him, a blue hippo tang, a yellow tang,a clown fish and CUC. In regards to the HOB refugium, any suggestions for a good one? I appreciate your help. He is, unfortunately, looking worse by the hour, and I don't think I will replace him, even though I really really like him. As you can see, I have quite a load on a small tank.

Back to the original topic...Google HOB refugiums, if you go for it..make sure you get a light as well. Refugiums also help with removing nitrates. I also agree with Moeowzer and TeresaQ..find the tangs a new home.

solly

Just an update, the tangs are gone, traded to the LFS for the most boring pajama cardinals. I hate them. They don't swim around. They don't even eat, no matter what I feed. Just hang in the water. And Scooter died. In spite of adding 1000 pods.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly http:///forum/thread/383067/scooter-blenny-stopped-eating#post_3349826
Just an update, the tangs are gone, traded to the LFS for the most boring pajama cardinals. I hate them. They don't swim around. They don't even eat, no matter what I feed. Just hang in the water. And Scooter died. In spite of adding 1000 pods.
Well you did the right thing about getting rid of the tangs
PJ Cardinals are nocturnal....Mine hang in one area during the day....although they do eat, but once the lights go out they are all over the place
as a matter af fact...they are staring at me right now...LOL...I have not fed them yet, and they see me sitting here on the computer haha

btldreef

Sorry about the Blenny, but you did the right thing with the tangs.
PJ's are boring to me too, but do swim around at night, it's the only time I ever really see mine.
If you think the PJ's are boring, why not get something different that has more life? Blennies (a bicolor would do well in your tank) have great personalities. A dwarf angel would do well also.

S

saxman

What you're seeing isn't uncommon for dragonettes (scooters are not blennies). Even specimens that eat prepared foods well can go off their feed for a number of reasons (water quality, harassment, old age, etc.). We kept a green mandy for about 8 years, and it ate EVERYTHING. However, it finally stopped eating altogether (even pods) and died of what I can only say was old age.