Sea slugs?

KHow

Does anyone here have sea slugs? If so, are they difficult? Do you like having them, are the different colors and patterns visible enough to be worth Having them?

flower

Hi,

Sea slugs come on the rock, that's why we call it LIVE rock. You paid dearly for that live rock, the little algae eaters are good guys and nothing to be alarmed about. They come out at night, and no they are nothing fancy, so no colors...LOL...the fancy pretty critters you pay extra for. Sometimes you may find a cool hitchhiker, and sometimes you find bad hitchhikers, the sea slugs are among the good guys.

bang guy

A lot of sea slugs can be kept successfully. The Lettuce Slugs are a good example. Unfortunately, most of the really colorful ones are Nudibranch and require a specialized diet. There are a few exceptions but most of these cannot be kept long term successfully.

flower

A lot of sea slugs can be kept successfully. The Lettuce Slugs are a good example. Unfortunately, most of the really colorful ones are Nudibranch and require a specialized diet. There are a few exceptions but most of these cannot be kept long term successfully.
I thought the original poster was worried about the sea slugs he found on his live rock...my bad

KHow

I was, like many, origionally drawn to be interested in these animals when seeing the colors and diversity in these creatures. After a bit of research, I quickly ruled out any sort of nudibranch. Some of the sea slugs and sea hares though still looked awesome and seem like they are easier to care for. I would be interested in any opinions or suggestions about having them in a home aquarium.

flower

I was, like many, origionally drawn to be interested in these animals when seeing the colors and diversity in these creatures. After a bit of research, I quickly ruled out any sort of nudibranch. Some of the sea slugs and sea hares though still looked awesome and seem like they are easier to care for. I would be interested in any opinions or suggestions about having them in a home aquarium.
Hi,

They get their colors from what they eat...being able to have just the right type of algae is hard to do. When you look at $40.00+ just for shipping on top of the critters cost, that's a lot of risk to take on a critter that is considered difficult to keep alive. It's not like you can go out and purchase the type of food they need, it has to actually grow in enough abundance to keep it going.

bang guy

I've had success with Lettuce Slugs. They eat a couple types of algae. Most will eat Bryopsis and Caulerpa racemosa.