sea weed (aka) nori

Discussion in 'Archives & FAQ' started by jay0705, Apr 5, 2016.

1. jay0705

jay0705 Well-Known Member

Green, red, purple whats the difference besides color?

2. bang guy

bang guy Administrator Staff Member

Different species of algae. They each have their benefits so a variety is best if possible.

3. jay0705

Ah ok I've never tried red bc I was once told its sponge based more for angles. That seemed a bit odd so I figured I'd inquire. I'll try some red today

4. bang guy

The commonly sold seaweed that is red is probably Laver. It's high in nutrients. Good for people too.

5. jay0705

I wondered if people could eat it. It doesn't smell bad lol

6. bang guy

If you have shrimp it's OK if they eat a little of it (they also love nori). Just don't let them over do it on the red because of the high Iodine content.

7. jay0705

Ah good info. I don't currently, but will keep it in mind. I do plan to add some once the tank is moved

8. jay0705

Ok I got some red last night. Its actually dried sea weed, not the sheets like green and purple. Is this normal?

9. lmforbis

lmforbis Well-Known Member

I've gotten that. I get a mixed pack of Rods and ther is always a clump of dried sea wee along with the processed sheets. I like the sheets better they don't fall apart as fast.

10. jay0705

Yea the fish were not fans lol they swarmed me as usual when I go for the clip and then just looked at it. Like wth is this lol

Lapang likes this.
  11. santamonica

santamonica Member

Speaking of seaweed, I'm going to be trying some (sinking?) algae pellets for our tangs.

12. jay0705

Never had any of mine that liked them.