Seachem Matrix in Sump

Kunal Patel

Hi

I am currently running a 120 gallon saltwater aquarium, I have mostly a fish only aquarium. I have issues with Nitrates, and recently added a bio pellet reactor. I heard that canister filter are
Nitrate factory so I basically converted mine to a reactor and filled it with Seachem Matrix about 6 months ago. I also went to RODI water. I do weekly water changes of 30 gallons. I also reduced my
feed to every 2 days. I was thinking of completely getting rid of my canister filter all together. My sump currently has a gravel substrate, and I keep mangroves in it. My Ammonia and Nitrite are undetectable but
my Nitrate tend to be high. I was thinking about removing the gravel substrate in my sump and taking the Matrix from the canister and making that as the new substrate for my sump. Has anyone tried this method
or any inputs or tips.

Thank You
Kunal Patel

2quills

I'd get rid of the gravel and mangroves personally, there are better options for nitrate reduction. Basically any of the common macro algae available does a better job than mangroves.

And gravel substrates tend to be nitrate factories in their own right.

Kunal Patel

I'd get rid of the gravel and mangroves personally, there are better options for nitrate reduction. Basically any of the common macro algae available does a better job than mangroves.

And gravel substrates tend to be nitrate factories in their own right.
I do have a lot of macro algae in the sump as well, but noticed a bigger difference when I added the mangroves. Will try switching out the gravel in the sump to sand.
Also do you believe that water flow could be a contributing factor in nitrate build up. I have 2 hydor 850s in the tank and i dont see much water movement like I see in
youtube videos of other tanks, so I am thinking there is a lot of dead spots.

2quills

Yeah too little flow will not keep organics suspended in the water column to get removed by whatever mechanical means of filtration you are using whether it be a skimmer or filter socks etc.

Too much organic matter settles into the rocks or substrate and begin to build up to the point where nutrients become uncontrollable.

What type of lighting are you using to grow your macro algae, mangroves etc?

Kunal Patel

Yeah too little flow will not keep organics suspended in the water column to get removed by whatever mechanical means of filtration you are using whether it be a skimmer or filter socks etc.

Too much organic matter settles into the rocks or substrate and begin to build up to the point where nutrients become uncontrollable.

What type of lighting are you using to grow your macro algae, mangroves etc?
For my mangroves and macro algae I am using a standard day light florescent tube light and a LED grow light. I also spray the mangroves with fresh water twice a week. I haven't needed to trim them
yet but will need to soon. I have done some research on the mangroves, I have heard 50/50 works for some and doesn't for others. I didn't think they would work for mine tank either but they did.
They are fairly easy to care for. I heard they suck up the magnesium so I add some every now and then. I also use instant ocean reef crystal. I attached a picture of my setup, sorry because of the light it may be
a little hard to see. The macro algae is in the right back corner behind my pump so it is hard to see it.

Attachments

2quills

I'd definitely say you'll need more macro to keep up with nutrients and/or do more water changes.

Growth rate is what determines how much nutrient they can reduce. The more you have and the faster it grows the better off you'll be. Good lighting is very important.

If you can boost the flow a little bit, ditch the gravel and watch your feeding it should help you out some.