seaweed question

hey all...i want an achilles tang for my reef tank but i have never grown live seaweed before...i have a 760 watt mh(2x250 halides 4x65 accents), 2 korlia 4's, and a 55 gallon fuge with cheato in it.
how hard is it to keep seaweed alive? and can it grow in my dt without flying around the tank and getting stuck in my powerheads? also is there more than one type of seaweed? i know nothing about this plant but my lfs said i should try to grow some if i buy the tang...thanks

scopus tang

Originally Posted by darkslayer414
http:///forum/post/2616094
hey all...i want an achilles tang for my reef tank but i have never grown live seaweed before...i have a 760 watt mh(2x250 halides 4x65 accents), 2 korlia 4's, and a 55 gallon fuge with cheato in it.
how hard is it to keep seaweed alive? and can it grow in my dt without flying around the tank and getting stuck in my powerheads? also is there more than one type of seaweed? i know nothing about this plant but my lfs said i should try to grow some if i buy the tang...thanks
Using the loosest definition of "seaweed" chaeto is a seaweed. Specifically, the term seaweed refers to any brown macroalgae, but it is often used loosely to apply to any macroalgae. If you want to feed a tang, the key is to find out what type of macroalgae your tang likes to eat. My scopas tang loved chaeto ~ ate it like spagetti! HtH

zeke92

i have eelgrass that i got from nybutterfly, i dont have any special lighting or anything. i started with 4 leaves and now i have TONS of eelgrass.
if you just put the roots under the sand for a while it doesn't take too long for the roots to grab on to the sand. when i pulled all my grass up last night when i changed my rockwork, all the roots had big clumps of sand it was stuck to.