Seeding a new tank

ReeferMichael

Hello! My names Michael, I have been doing Freshwater for two years and Saltwater for just over a year now.

I just recently decided to bump up to a Red Sea Reefer 250 from a 15g Nano (took the plunge)

My Reefer 250 is all ready to go and I wanted to get things moving. I am planning on seeding with two small bags of media, one medium size bag, and some rock. My question is, I have never seeded a tank before. How fast does this happen? I was told by a friend who also has a Reefer 250 that I should be able to move livestock over immediately? Do I need to add some form of ammonia to keep the bacteria "fed," or just let the fish eat and poop and let them handle it?

Appreciate any advice! I want this transition to go as smoothly as possible for both me and my Livestock. Currently I only have a Wrasse, two clowns and a Spotted Goby; a Hammerhead coral, large torch and some Zoas; along with two small anemones (recently split).

Thanks!

lmforbis

If you move the rocks from your existing tank into the new one, with some new rock you shouldn’t have any problems moving the few small fish. Wait a while before trying to add any new fish. Be sure to watch the ammonia levels, maybe buy a SeaChem ammonia alert badge so you just have to glance at the tank to see it. I’ve done it many times with no issues. Most recently a 125 into a 120. A lot more fish than you have. No issues.

beaslbob

If you start your tank with a refugium full of macro algae you could also not get the aerobic bacteria ammonia->nitrite->nitrate cycle. the macro algae will actually consume ammonia directly preventing those spikes. Then as the aerobic bacteria builds up, the macros will "switch" to consuming nitrates for nitrogen.