Setting up my JBJ 28 Biocube!

immythekiller

I take care of saltwater tanks for a pet store , and know the basics. Just wondering what I need for my 28 gallon FOWLR tank? So far I know I need
  • Tank -check
  • Heater (not sure on wattage)
  • Instant ocean-check
  • Live sand -check
  • Live rock (not sure on how many lbs)
  • Powerhead (thinking maybe a koralia nano?)
Any tips , suggestions , would be truly appreciated ! I also have a few more questions.
  • Filling it up the first time should I slowly add the instant ocean and check my salinity as I go?
  • Wanting to do clown fish , not sure whether I want to do ocellaris ? Stocking ideas would be awesome! Got 28 gallons to play around with , but want to make wise choices.

snakeblitz33

1. 75-100w heater is fine, depending on your homes ambient temperature.

2. Only use purified water to mix your salt with. Always follow the directions on the box for mixing. Getting a $25 refractometer will save you a headache in getting the right salinity.

3. Only top off your tank with pure fresh water. As saltwater evaporates the salt is left behind.

Look on bulk reef supplies website for the 100 days of reefing video series that explains many of the basics of keeping a saltwater tank.

silverado61

Decide what fish you want and build your tank around that. Not the other way around. Snakeblitz33 pretty much covered the basics.

jay0705

1-1.5 lbs of lr per gallon is the general rule. Mostly base rock, seeded with live is cheaper tho