SHARKS

chrisd

i am thinking of starting a larger tank. somewhere around the 100 to 150 gal range. i was looking to put sharks and larger fish in it. but i am concerned about the amount of difficulty and cost that it will bring to me. any thoughts would be great. thanks

the rock

the rock says....
look for a used tank, it'll save you a lot of dough! the sharks themselves are not that expensive, especially on this site as compared to pet stores. make sure you purchase a long tank vs a deep tank

chrisd

Originally posted by the rock:
the rock says....
look for a used tank, it'll save you a lot of dough! the sharks themselves are not that expensive, especially on this site as compared to pet stores. make sure you purchase a long tank vs a deep tank

chrisd

Originally posted by chrisd:
ROCK ...... thanks forthe insite. i am going to look into used tank. But are most sharks harty. Or am i going to spend $150 on a fish and have it die in a mounth

the rock

the rock says....
sharks are hearty once they have established themselves in your tank. if you can get them to settle down and take food they will live for a long time. they need ample space to swim though so you should definately go with nothing less than a 150 if you are going to buying a shark that does a lot of swimming

hiimjered

You have to be kidding. A shark in a 150!! The smallest species of sharks, the Bamboo and Cat sharks grow to be nearly three feet long. That means that they would have to turn backwards on themselves to turn around (something that sharks can't do nearly as well as bony fish) and, your shark would take up over half the length of your tank if it was sitting still. Spend a couple of days in a closet, and you'll see how it will feel for this shark.
Also, several species of sharks, including the cat shark and leapord shark are cold water sharks that require water temperatures of less than seventy degrees. Most other fish can't stand that cold water, but keeping these fish much warmer will shorten their lives and can cause many bad side effects.
Bamboo sharks have been successfully kept and bred in a 180 gallon very sparsly decorated tank. This is the absolute minimum tank, and only if you want to keep this species of shark. If you would like a reef shark or a leapord shark, you need a 400 gallon, and most other species need tanks in excess of 1000 gallons.
Even if you hatch the egg yourself, your shark will outgrow a 100 gallon tank in a year, a 150 in less than two, no matter the species. Make sure you get a large tank. Also, remember that they eat very messily, and have a lot of waste, so a really good protein skimmer will be vital.
Oh, and don't think that a public aquarium will want your shark when it outgrows your tank. Most of them have policies to not accept any animals from private aquarium keepers.
Don't think that I am against keeping sharks, just please don't torture it by keeping it in a tiny tank. Make sure you research them extensivly before you even prepare to buy a tank for one. A good book is "Aquarium Sharks and Rays" by Scott W. Michael. Please research them thouroughly before you buy one. Good luck
Jered

venom

Originally posted by chrisd:
i am thinking of starting a larger tank. somewhere around the 100 to 150 gal range. i was looking to put sharks and larger fish in it. but i am concerned about the amount of difficulty and cost that it will bring to me. any thoughts would be great. thanks

I agree with jiimjeered a shark will outgrow that 150 in about 2 years then what....unless you can get a huge tank atleast 180 dont do it.....if you are like most of us we get attached to our fish.....you probably are going to be sorry and no the aquariums will not take them.....get your self some nice blue spotted rays or something that wont get so large as a shark...good luck......

seamore

I have to agrre, i had a 31/2 ft nurse shark in 7 ft 160, it is torture on them and not fair, they are evolutionary perfect preditors, and are not meant for the confines of a tank. Even sea world tried keeping a great white, spent millions, and guess what? It died. These are animals that dont interact with humans, they dont really see and wait for u too feed them. Although i enjoyed having one, i regret doing that to such a wonderful creature!