Should the lights be off all day when adding a new fish?

cartman101

Well this question has been bugging me. Do you have to leave the lights off for the whole day when acclimating a new fish? Is it safe to just turn the light on for an hour after the light as been off for 3 hours maybe even more?

psusocr1

when i add my fishim going to try to add them at night so that the lights will be off for along time before the morning

pallan

ive found it has helped with stopping territory disputes before they get a chance to begin. i leave the lights off for an hour before adding a new fish puts all the other little fishes in a less defensive mood.

fishieness

Originally Posted by psusocr1
when i add my fishim going to try to add them at night so that the lights will be off for along time before the morning
make sure you buy the fish at night then. it would be a good idea to let it sit in a bag for a while./

hot883

Originally Posted by Pallan
ive found it has helped with stopping territory disputes before they get a chance to begin. i leave the lights off for an hour before adding a new fish puts all the other little fishes in a less defensive mood.
Very good point made here!

thangbom

or you can do what i sometime do.. 1/2 the time 1 qt my fish befor i add them to my main.. which mean they are in my house for 2 weeks or so.. ( i like to do this to fish that stress ez like tangs) then one night before lights out.. i add them to the main tank .. then the light go out and all will be good.. and yes it is a very good to turn light off prior to adding a fish.. it give the old inhabitants less to see and attack while giving the new guy time to lurk around in the dark and find a nice hiding place.. or so