Sick Panther Grouper

Monica Cooper

We have a sick Panther Grouper. He has been in our 55 FOWL tank for about a week now showing no signs of stress and eating like a pig. I have noticed that he has been eyeing our Pistol Shrimp and I have heard the Shrimp snap at him. Could the Shrimp have incapacitated him? He is still breathing but just lying on the sand bad. What else could be wrong with him and what can I do to try and save him? All parameters are normal.

jay0705

A 55 is a fish bowl for a panther. That said, your lucky he hasn't just eaten the shrimp yet.
What is your filtration? What type of test kit r u using to test your water?

silverado61

How much aeration do you have? How established is the tank? Did you QT him before you put him the display?

Monica Cooper

It is an old display tank we have turned into a FOWLR tank. I actually read on your website under the description of the fish that recommend minimum tank size was 50 gal before we bought him. The tank is plenty big for him now. If he makes it and he out grows it we will relocate him. Did not QT because of his size because my QT is only 20 gal. That definitely would have been a fish bowl. The only thing in that tank is the Pistol Shrimp and his goby, a dwarf lion and a Picasso Trigger. Could the shrimp have done that to him if he tried to eat it?