small fish selection suggestions needed...

maury

I want to put a wide variety of small fish in my 210 reef that I am slowly piecing together. I was wondering what you folks might suggest. I would like to stay away from Damsels due to their aggressive nature, however some are quite beautiful. As far as what's in there now, only a Yellow eye tang, and a mimic tang. Here's what I am eventually planning to do. Some of the last fish added will be a juvenile Imperator and Red Sea Regal. I know that the Imperators can much on corals, but I have also researched the topic of raising them from Juv's and keeping them well fed, and sometimes you can get lucks and they won't nibble (or only a little) If I get an eater, he goes to my buddies FOWLR at his office for free, so you can see why he's pushing me to try this ;) I had heard that blue chromis are not as mean as most damselfish. Anyone have experience with them? I would also like to keep some really small fish that stay that size (1 to 1-1/2in max). I'd like to have a wide variety of live in this tank, already started down that road with my inverts. Also the more colorful the better. Thanks for you help, as always.

bluemarlin

Blue Reef Chromis and Green Chromis would work well I think. I'd buy about 12-15 of each and stick them in there. They school together and move almost as one. Very cool.

thehat

I have the blue green chromis and I love them. There inexpensive and under a bluelight they are pretty. They only school if you have about 8+ though. There are alot of types of gobies you could get. They are pretty hardy for the most part. Give or take a few.

musipilot

Yah, green chromises. We have 8, they stick in two groups of 4, are always active, and don't bother anyone (including each other). They amaze me that they all manage to find a place to sleep IN the rock at night. Great fish!

Royal Gramma is a nice fish, purple/yellow 3" max. Ever thought about a yellow head jawfish colony? I've also been looking at a neon dottyback. Smaller fish that has an orange body with purple/yellow/red on its back...very cool.
In a large tank like yours I would be very tempted by any large group of Anthias. I really like squareback, evansi, and lyretail anthias. All brightly colored, a little difficult to keep (mainly because of aquarium size ..much easier in larger aquariums), peaceful to semi-agressive, and a big difference between the male and femals (makes it fun to watch behavior, ect.)