Small FOWLR tank

Bob Sterling

This message is for people that have a FOWLR tank 50 gallons or less. I just set up a 40 gallon hexagonal tank and want to get some advice. I am not new to saltwater aquariums, but it seems the techniques and best practices have changed over the years. My tank is still in the cycling process and I am awaiting live rock to arrive next week from saltwaterfish.com. My questions: what are some recommended tank inhabitants for such a small tank? I would love to have a butterfly fish, a small angel and maybe an anemone, but cautious about overcrowding the tank. Also, what is an expected period of time to cycle such a small tank? Just curious about what other hobbyists are doing with their small tanks. Thanks!

lmforbis

I used to have a similar tank, a little over 40 gallons it was taller than it was wide. Because the diameter is only around 18-24 inches you will be limited to the type of fish. You can do a lot with small reef fish like dart fish, gobies, basslets. A butterfly is out of the question, they need much bigger tanks. A Pygmy angel might be OK but pretty much all others need a bigger tank.
The first group of fish I had in mine, many years ago, were a snowflake moray, a Clarkii clown, and a blue damsel. Originally it was just the eel but the Clarkii and damsel were moved from Another tank because they were too aggressive.
I set this tank up again a couple years ago with the old rocks and some new live rock. I had a ton of rock so it was perfect for small reef fish. I had a royal gramma, watchman goby, firefish, an oscelaris clown and a pajama Cardinal. None of the fish needed swimming space the way a butterfly or angel would but rather like to stay near their home in the rocks. I was never successful with an anemone in that tank because it was so deep, the light just couldn't get down that far. I always liked the look of the hex tank. I took it down when I upgraded to a 125, largely because it was over 20 years old and some of the seams didn't look very good any more.

Bob Sterling

I used to have a similar tank, a little over 40 gallons it was taller than it was wide. Because the diameter is only around 18-24 inches you will be limited to the type of fish. You can do a lot with small reef fish like dart fish, gobies, basslets. A butterfly is out of the question, they need much bigger tanks. A Pygmy angel might be OK but pretty much all others need a bigger tank.
The first group of fish I had in mine, many years ago, were a snowflake moray, a Clarkii clown, and a blue damsel. Originally it was just the eel but the Clarkii and damsel were moved from Another tank because they were too aggressive.
I set this tank up again a couple years ago with the old rocks and some new live rock. I had a ton of rock so it was perfect for small reef fish. I had a royal gramma, watchman goby, firefish, an oscelaris clown and a pajama Cardinal. None of the fish needed swimming space the way a butterfly or angel would but rather like to stay near their home in the rocks. I was never successful with an anemone in that tank because it was so deep, the light just couldn't get down that far. I always liked the look of the hex tank. I took it down when I upgraded to a 125, largely because it was over 20 years old and some of the seams didn't look very good any more.
Thanks for the reply. I have had various size tanks over the years, but this 40 gallon is all we can fit in our small home. It looks great, but very limited as to what we can have in the tank.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
A small reef tank with perhaps paired clownfish and a host anemone. You didn't say if you were interested in reef. You will need to stick to smaller fish. What lighting are you using? Anemones will require a stable system and good lighting.

Bob Sterling

A small reef tank with perhaps paired clownfish and a host anemone. You didn't say if you were interested in reef. You will need to stick to smaller fish. What lighting are you using? Anemones will require a stable system and good lighting.
No reef tank, just a FOWLR. Yeah, I am beginning to see that my fish choices are going to be limited to very small damsel-like fish. The lighting is basic fluorescent, so it may not be the best for an anemone.

jay0705

Bc of being a small tank a good led wouldn't be too expensive if you did want to go reef

Bob Sterling

Bc of being a small tank a good led wouldn't be too expensive if you did want to go reef
Jay, I started thinking about your comment about making this a reef tank and I have a question. Since I have never had a reef tank before, this is going to be a stupid question. This 40G tank is a hexagon with a plastic flip up top. All of the pictures I see of reef tanks have no tops due to the LED fixtures, protein skimmers, etc. What prevents jumpers from jumping out of the tank? Do you just have to be very selective about the fish and do not select notorious jumpers? Thanks.

lmforbis

A lot of people use a clear mesh screen on top. Bulk Reef Supply sells kits. These are not very visible allow good gas exchange and prevent jumpers from jumping out.

Lapang

in this tank, if u wanna do butterfly (only one juv), dont do angels or vice versa, damsel to be added last, just my .02