Snail eggs?

silverado61

These just started popping up in my tank. It started with three of them on one of my snails (You can see them on him in the photo). Now I have about twenty of them on a couple of rocks. They can't be scraped off without breaking them open and they are black inside. Any idea what they are?
fish eggs.jpg
Some are tan colored and some are white. Sorry the photo sucks. I made this a quick post with my camera.

silverado61

I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow. Those are actually skeletal remains that were on the rock when I got it.

What I'm talking about are the dots just above what you were looking at. They're shaped like tiny drops of mercury. About a mm in size. Not translucent. The colors range from white, tan to a light green.
They're attached to the rock and when I tried to scrape one off it broke open and the inside looks black in color. The outside is like a thin candy coated shell.

Before anyone suggests it, no, they're not spiral feather dusters. I know first hand what those are and this isn't it.

Last edited:

snakeblitz33

If it's calcerous and not gelatinous, then it's not snail eggs.

Do you ever see a fan come out of the hole? Could be fan worms. I would really need a better picture.

snakeblitz33

Got me stumped. Keep an eye on them and see if they grow.

Believe it or not, live rock, given proper conditions, can re-grow some corals that died back during shipping.

silverado61

Well, your no help. Lol. I doubt they're coral. A few of them are on a dry rock I reused from my 36g. They haven't grown, moved or numbers decreased in the 10 days since I first spotted them. Its just......odd. I've even got a couple on my tapestry snail.

flower

I have those little white "dots" all over, mostly on the back glass where I don't clean it. I also have baby snails all over as well. In fact I took a magnifier and took a really good look at the ones on the front of my glass... they were nerite snails, and later on I found tiny nassarius snails too...white but perfectly formed and they had little antenna, they are hard to scrape off, they really hang on, but you can do it. They fall like bricks but they are just playing dead, like snails do when bothered.

silverado61

These don't move at all. If they were snails they would have starved to death by now. Now I have about 10 of them on my tapestry snail. Numbers have increased on the rocks, yet.

clatong

Sorry that I'm late to the party, but within days of adding 6 nerite snails (ordered from this site), I had over 100 of those exact dots all over several of my rocks. None on the glass. Over the past few months, all but a few have completely disappeared. I never noticed any baby snails, but not sure if my shrimp would have gotten them or not.

Because I didn't add anything else around that time, I agree with Flower than they're nerite, though I think just eggs.

silverado61

They keep disappearing in some areas and popping up in others. Not all at once but slowly. They're almost covering one of my nerites. Keep looking for little baby snails but no luck.