Snorkeling

iidylii

just wondering if any of you might know if there is such a thing as a bad time to go snorkeling...my brothers and I are going to Cozumel Mexico middle of May and thought we better check on if there are good and bad times to go in the reefs?

lmforbis

Nope. The Caribbean is pretty consistent year round. Never been to Cozumel. Spent a week diving Bonaire last July and will spend a week diving in Grand Cayman this July. Most of my diving has been the South Pacific. I lived in the Phillipines in the early eighties. As a kid we'd drive from Phoenix, where we lived, to the gulf of California to dive. It's more variable there.

jay0705

Black scuba suit off the coast of africa. I hear its amazing. Once in a life time experience

2quills

My cousin and his wife went snorkeling down there on their honeymoon and said they really enjoyed it. Cozumel, that is (not seal island).

lmforbis

Took me a while to get the joke.
My dad went great white diving in South Africa a few years ago (chummed water in a shark cage), he was around 70. Said it was a trip of a life time. This year when we go to grand Caymen he'll be 79. He complains that he has a hard time getting out of the water with his gear on now. I just hope I have half his energy when I'm 79.

jay0705

Wow. I turn 40 in july and i feel like iam getting old!!!. There is just something about the ocean and sharks. I was fishing in maine and blue sharks just come out of nowhere. Its spooky and cool all at the same time

lmforbis

I've done a lot of diving and have never seen a shark. I haven't gone looking either. I told my brother, he's a dive instructor, that when we are in grand Cayman I want to see a shark.

2quills

Waters here are full of sharks, no great whites though. Lots of tigers, bulls, hammers and black tips though. Can catch em right on the beach.

2quills

Not as common here in corpus. I'm more concerned about the jelly fish. Not uncommon for a Port Man O War to wash up on the beach.

iidylii

I can live without seeing a shark in the water with me lol...

Anyways scratch the Mexico idea...do to time restraints we will just be going to st Petersburg Florida and staying in a hotel on the beach...I'm sure the snorkeling won't be near as nice but just hanging out with my brothers will be enough lol

jay0705

Alot of lion fish i guess down that way lol. Plus u can always pick up a hatchling gator