Spambots

silverado61

I apoligize to swf.com but if they don't do something about these spambots soon, I'm going to look for a different website. Half my inbox is filled with these things every morning. That's not what I'm here for. I've got a filter on my email to get rid of these why can't you figure something out??

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've just deleted several spammer topics. How is that you are receiving these in inbox? They PM you? Is anyone else experiencing this??

snakeblitz33

I'm not personally getting inboxed by spammers. It must just be you.

Silverado, if you go to a different forum there will only be like four people who actually post on here. Lol. With that being said, let me know where you end up.

silverado61

I follow many different forums here and I get alerts in my email and in turn, I get alerts on my cell. I have to open each one just to find out if its really a new thread or just a spambot. Then delete them from my inbox. The only way to avoid this hassle is to unfollow every forum. But then then I have to look in each forum for any new threads or new thread postings.

Snake: I really really don't want to go anywhere else. I consider this my home away from home. But, its a real pain in the tush to have to keep going through all this to avoid my email from filling up.
Three things I hate most: aiptasia, ick and spambots. I'll do anything I need to to avoid all three.
I've got tons of filters and firewalls to get rid of it in my regular email but when it gets through via this website? AAAGH!

aduvall

I report every spambot I see... I don't follow forums, and just check the new posts page... So it doesn't effect me I suppose.

bang guy

I follow many different forums here and I get alerts in my email and in turn, I get alerts on my cell. I have to open each one just to find out if its really a new thread or just a spambot. Then delete them from my inbox. The only way to avoid this hassle is to unfollow every forum. But then then I have to look in each forum for any new threads or new thread postings.

Snake: I really really don't want to go anywhere else. I consider this my home away from home. But, its a real pain in the tush to have to keep going through all this to avoid my email from filling up.
Three things I hate most: aiptasia, ick and spambots. I'll do anything I need to to avoid all three.
I've got tons of filters and firewalls to get rid of it in my regular email but when it gets through via this website? AAAGH!
Instead of following every forum use this link when you want to check for new messages: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/index.php?find-new/673199/posts

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, if you do as Bang Guy suggested you can see all new posts in one area. There is also a tab at the top of the forum "New Posts" that you can click on when you want to check for new posts. This will relieve you from getting emails from SWF all day long :cool: and you can quickly check when its convenient for you.

flower

I'm with Aduvall, I don't want my e-mail clogged up with alerts...somebody posted on a thread you posted on, kind of thing. I just log on when I want to, at my convenience, and check the "new posts" I HATE spam too, but I also hate a clogged up with junk mail inbox. So really, you created your own nightmare, and it's an easy fix.

I used to get alerts, it was mostly nonsense stuff, no fish lives were hanging in the balance for an answer, so I stopped it. You can add the different sites to your favorites list, and just click a tab to be on the site to check the new postings. I really hope you don't leave, and to be honest, the "spambots" will find your other sites too.

LOL...By the time I posted this... you already fixed the problem...I type soooo slow. But I'm leaving the post in case somebody else is having troubles.

silverado61

I doubt I would have left anyway. I was just having a hissy fit. Whew! There, I'm over it now. I do feel better having vented though. o_O

flower

I doubt I would have left anyway. I was just having a hissy fit. Whew! There, I'm over it now. I do feel better having vented though. o_O
LOL... Glad to hear it was just a vent release! Spam does that to people....I spend early mornings reporting ads that those people post with jibberish content, just to get folks to look. I HATE that.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It might be a good idea if SWF started to use an approval system before allowing new members on....a lot of forums do that. I wouldn't mind helping in the screening process. There would need to be a very quick turnaround to that.

flower

It might be a good idea if SWF started to use an approval system before allowing new members on....a lot of forums do that. I wouldn't mind helping in the screening process. There would need to be a very quick turnaround to that.
The downside to that is when folks need emergency help and answers right away... Yet it would certainly help with those jibberish ads.

trigger40

i was thinking about trying another forum. not because of spambots but just to try another forum. i went to reef central and did not like it. i read few post about people wanting trigger fish and did not see one person give good advice. they call humu triggers, picasso triggers!
there is good info there but i like the swf family better.

kopczynski

I had a question and i figured since some of the other forums are bigger it might provoke a faster responce but it turns out it took longer then expected and then i got a two word answer. Where here i post my question and its answered much faster.

honu808

I had a question and i figured since some of the other forums are bigger it might provoke a faster responce but it turns out it took longer then expected and then i got a two word answer. Where here i post my question and its answered much faster.
I dont know your question but if its posted in the correct subject, it usually gets answered quickly. Post it again and lets see if we get it answered.