Star polyp attachment question

jerth6932

Under normal circumstances, how long does it take for a Star polyp colony take to attach it's self to the rock work? I have it being held in place by a rubberband, and I don't want it to incoperate its self into the stars. Just a general idea, cause I know there is obsily a range depending on tons of things!
I figured this would be a good forum to post because of fragging/attachment issues!

jerth6932

Ok good and well.... but I am using the CHEAPER method! (Young family... barley could afford the rubber band.....
) But just to answer the original question, about how long is the attachment period so I can pull the rubber band?
THANK YOU BOTH for you input!!! Just was wanting an answer to the situation I am using!

braydonosu

I purchased a colony on a 1.5" plug, placed the plug on rock where it would not fall or slide unless it was pushed pretty hard. After about a week to a week and a half the colony had started to encrust the rock that the plug was on. It has gone from the origional 1.5" DIA to about 2" or so in under a month. Hope that helps - I have never used the glue or rubberbands for stars, just put them somewhere that the flow cannot blow them away.

jerth6932

cool so just check with them about a week out then, cool! Thanks.... If any one else has a diff time frame just let me know! THX!

b sharkey

I have accutally tried 3 different methods. The first one I placed a piece of my Star polyps under a rock and it took about 2 weeks for them to stay. The next one I rubberbanded and when the rubberband broke they stayed. But the best one i used is the super glue gel (MUST BE THE GEL ... my brother-in-law used the regular superglue
and when he placed the polyp in the tank it ran and his fish ate it.
It glued the fishes mouth shut
and he had to do surgery with a paperclip to get the fishes mouth open and pull the glue out GOOD NEWS!! the fish is fine!
) ... You can pick it up at any dollar tree store. Once you glue them on they are ussually out within the hour! GOOD LUCK!!

jerth6932

Originally Posted by B Sharkey
http:///forum/post/2815288
I have accutally tried 3 different methods. The first one I placed a piece of my Star polyps under a rock and it took about 2 weeks for them to stay. The next one I rubberbanded and when the rubberband broke they stayed. But the best one i used is the super glue gel (MUST BE THE GEL ... my brother-in-law used the regular superglue
and when he placed the polyp in the tank it ran and his fish ate it.
It glued the fishes mouth shut
and he had to do surgery with a paperclip to get the fishes mouth open and pull the glue out GOOD NEWS!! the fish is fine!
) ... You can pick it up at any dollar tree store. Once you glue them on they are ussually out within the hour! GOOD LUCK!!

THX for the time frame! Not great that the fish got his mouth stuck, funny but not great! Glad he's fine!

ride4life2k5

It might take a week or two. But unless you want star polyps all and I mean ALL over, I would put them on a rock away from the rest of your rockwork. They will spread over everything, and once they spread, its very hard to remove them from the rock. They will smother other corals near them as the grow. Just a word of advise, take it with a grain of salt if you wish. The best place for star polyps is glued to the back wall of your tank. Good luck with the tank and with the family.

jerth6932

"It might take a week or two. But unless you want star polyps all and I mean ALL over, I would put them on a rock away from the rest of your rockwork. They will spread over everything, and once they spread, its very hard to remove them from the rock. They will smother other corals near them as the grow. Just a word of advise, take it with a grain of salt if you wish. The best place for star polyps is glued to the back wall of your tank. Good luck with the tank and with the family."
Yup, should of followed this advise..... They took over, have killed off several zoa colonies and trying to invade the SPS. Not the best investment :( Darn weed!

S

siptang

I wanna try it on the wall now after reading this.
What do I do? Just superglue on the wall? What about the water in the tank? Any advices?

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///forum/thread/338712/star-polyp-attachment-question#post_3384084
I wanna try it on the wall now after reading this.
What do I do? Just superglue on the wall? What about the water in the tank? Any advices?
Yes, just glue it to the wall it will do its thing from there! What do you mean the water in the tank? Advice: make sure it can't eventually reach on a rock something that you do not want it to kill/take over, other then that its cool stuff. I prefer the branching mat kind over the normal mat, cause it makes cool designs.

S

siptang

Well I want to put in on the back wall of the dt. Water is always full in there and I was wondering if it's ok to just stick it in there while the water is in there. Obviously I haven't tried before lol and I was wondering if glue will still hold and everything if it's still in water. I just hope that my butterfly and flame angel doesn't eat it all up.

wartooth1

One of my first corals was a small colony of GPS. I put it on top of a rock I thought it looked good on and after about 3 weeks it naturally attached itself to the rock and began spreading.