Starfish?

CarlL

Hi everyone. I currently have a 4 gallon reef tank with an emerald crab, hermit crab, two snails, and a barnacle blenny. I was wondering if there are any starfish that may be suitable for this size tank.

flower

Microstars, but you would never see them, they stay in the rocks... but they are great tiny little scavengers, for keeping your teeny little reef healthy.

flower

Where would you buy them?
We are not allowed to post links from other sites...obvious reasons. Just google on-line, micro-stars and Asterina stars live on live rock, and that's usually were we get them...One site that sells them are asking $25.00 for 4 of them, which is outrageous. Your best bet is to ask a friend who has a SW tank to share some of theirs. If you put live rock in real salty water, the little critters abandon ship so to speak, and you can see what is in the rock, pick out what you want...be quick, they move right back into the rock within a few moments. I use this trick to make sure I don't have any unwanted hitchhikers when I buy live rock.

pegasus

Asterina Stafish could do well in a tank like that.
They do well in my 125... I harvest at least 50 each and every month. I'd be glad to give every one of them away. Every once in awhile, the population isn't quite as explosive, but man... can they reproduce! I wouldn't wish this critters on anyone... lol!

reefkeeperZ

They do well in my 125... I harvest at least 50 each and every month. I'd be glad to give every one of them away. Every once in awhile, the population isn't quite as explosive, but man... can they reproduce! I wouldn't wish this critters on anyone... lol!
Free scavengers and algae grazers.... harvesting them is nutrient export... that said If you have more competition for the scraps you may experience less of a rapid population burst. possibly.

pegasus

Free scavengers and algae grazers.... harvesting them is nutrient export... that said If you have more competition for the scraps you may experience less of a rapid population burst. possibly.
This is true. I've been needing to add more snails for awhile now. I want more cerith and nassarius snails. I keep hermits to help with the hair algae issue, but they sure do love fresh snail meat... :mad: