Stars and Stripes Puffer. Ich Maybe?

dynee12

My puffer sometimes lays on the bottom of the tank sometimes, Is this normal? Then other times he swims around like crazy. I seen some white spots? on his fins. Could this be ich? I have had him for about a week. He is eating good. Formula one soaked in garlic. He's the only fish in my 75 gallon tank. I did a 1/2 water change, (RO) two days later did a small water change of 5 gallons. cleaned the rock and substrate before purchasing him (he has never puffed up. Temp is 78, ph 8.2, nitrite 0, amonia 0, Nitrate 20. (which I don't like) and I use coralife salt. Any suggestions?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He looks like he's in pretty good shape, but I can't tell anything about ich on fins from the pictures. Can you get a more detailed picture of the spots you are seeing?

R

rcreations

Puffers usually like to lie down on the rocks or even the bottom of the tank. That's perfectly normal.
I don't see any ich in those pictures either.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/3251371
Puffers usually like to lie down on the rocks or even the bottom of the tank. That's perfectly normal.
I don't see any ich in those pictures either.
Yes, but not all the time. So, I guess it depend on how much time this puff is spending lying around?

dynee12

He's laying down now. He swims about 60% of the time. He even ate out of my hand today which was cool. I'll try to get a closer picture if I can. Is everything else ok with the water and food?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Water looks good. I don't like nitrates either, but its just about unavoidable in an aggressive type set up.

aquaknight

How often does he keep his tail in that closed/pointed position, like in pic 1? Does he keep it tucked to the side when he's swimming or just lying down? If it's most of the time, it could point to some issue, puffers usually do it when something is bothering them, either stress or disease.
I'm not totally familiar with S'n'S puffers coloration, but usually it's hard to see Ich on their body, mostly on the fins, and on the eyes. In both pics, he seems to have clear eyes.

R

rcreations

I had a Stars & Stripes puffer and the best place to see ich is on the fins, since they're transparent. Aqua is right. When puffers swim the tail should be extended and opened. When they lay down, they curl it. If he swims 60% of the time, I think that's normal for a S&S. Mine was about the same. Unfortunately he got too big for my tank and I had to sell him. Cool fish!

dynee12

His tail is tucked when he's laying down. When he's swimming it's expanded or closed. He tucks it sometimes.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That is ich. All your fish now will need to be treated, preferably with hyposalinity.

dynee12

Hes the only fish in my tank. Please tell me how that is done. Do I lower my sality? if so how low? Thanks

dynee12

I read the forum on hyposalinity, Thanks everyone for your help. I'm working on his treatment as we speak. I'll get him better or my name isn't Puff Daddy.