Stars and Stripes Puffer

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Why is the skimmer off? You will want to maximize water circulation within the tank, making certain that there is good movement throughout, and at the surface.
It would be best to get the nitrates down. The symptoms of your puffer seem more like stress, either environmental or nutritional.
I would suggest another two water changes, every other day.

P

puffdaddy1

We had the skimmer and UV sterilizer off when we were treating the tank with melafix and pima fix. We have since done about a 25% water change and turned everything back on. He is still breathing heavy, especially at rest. Hasn't eaten and his eyes are somewhat sunken. What do you think about a fresh water dip for him?

P

puffdaddy1

Any ideas anyone?? He is sell alive and kicking, hasn't eaten in probably 4 days.....

P

puffdaddy1

How would I go about doing hypo in a QT tank? How low do you go, and what about the other parameters?

P

puffdaddy1

Our salinity runs 1.019 normally. Would fresh water dips help?

P

puffdaddy1

It has been a week today that he hasn't eaten. Should I try to tube feed him somehow? Clinically, he looks better but still breathing hard. We added an additional pump to increase oxygen.
Any thoughts anyone?

mr. limpid

Why do you run your DT salinity so low, natural sea water is around 1.025, 1.026. What temp. is you tank, high temp. causes low oxygen levels.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/390661/stars-and-stripes-puffer/20#post_3461852
Why do you run your DT salinity so low, natural sea water is around 1.025, 1.026. What temp. is you tank, high temp. causes low oxygen levels.
I just learned this the other day...low SG is actually better for fish only systems, it's less stress on the fish and the higher the SG the lower the oxygen.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that salinity is too low.
Also, did you do the repeated water change as suggested?

P

puffdaddy1

Yes....have done at least 2 water changes recently. How do I know what disease (if any) that I am dealing with?? Our salinity has probably been running at 19/20 for years....no issues until now with the puffer. Today he hasn't moved from the one spot he has been lying in, and still breathing heavy. At least the past few days he was more mobile.....Could it just be old age?

btldreef

For a fish only, the salinity isn't too low as long as that is what you've always kept it at. 1.019 is absolutely fine for a fish only system and it's what most LFS's run their fish tanks at that don't contain inverts.
I would run hypo, at this point, it can't hurt. It might be old age, but rule out parasites/disease that you could be leaving in your tank for other fish to get infected right now.

P

puffdaddy1

He ate tonight!! We had to hand feed him, but it worked!! Maybe he just had to work out whatever was in his body?? He isn't 100%, still a little lethargic. Is there any way I could over feed him? Don't want to cause another issue! We gave, shrimp, mussels and squid. Would appreciate any help! :)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Continue with the water change every other day. Try using a bird feeder syringe to feed rather then you hand feeding.

mr. limpid

If he's eating try offering food soaked in fresh garlic, this will help his immune system. I press fresh garlic into a little RO water let it set for awhile then strain clumps out with brian shrimp net. Then add food to garlic water, soak for 10 min. then stain water out, then feed. Good Luck.

P

puffdaddy1

Thanks for the advice! He ate again this morning. We have been using garlic guard and zoe vitamins to add to his food.
He is still breathing hard at times, but seems more back to normal.
I guess there is something to be said about natural immunity....I will let him work out whatever is wrong with him.....