Starting a 75 gallon tank; with questions.

lmgalion

I am thinking about setting up a saltwater tank. I have had numerous tanks in the past but its been a few yrs. What I have is a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump setup ( reef octopus skimmer NWB 110& A Eheim return pump 3000)and I want to have the correct air flow & lighting to have the option to do reef and corals down the road. I have approx. 75# live rock too. My question is what type of lighting ( I want LED)( I know there is all types, what do I look for in lighting)?What about the Fluval brand strip? I used to have the vho type and want to replace these and mount the new ones in my canopy) What do you recommend and what type of power heads and size. I want the type that is magnetic and attach to the side of the tank glass for water movement Thank you for any and all advice.

jay0705

Lighting really depends on money. Kessils are excellent keep all corals and you really never hear a bad thing about them. Except the cost. Mid range quality are orbit marine pro leds.
Flow really depends on how many heads u want

one-fish

Just bought the Orbit marine didn't get the Pro but for fish and inverts only I am very pleased it has made a big difference in the tanks appearance.

lmforbis

I'd stay away from the fluval and marineland strip lights. They are fine for fish and maybe (a big maybe) some softies.
I use kessils but there are other LEDs out there that will grow corals. I'd decide what your ultimate goal with the tank is and buy lights according to that. Good ones are pricy but buying cheap ones and having to replace them with good ones later is even more money.

I am thinking about setting up a saltwater tank. I have had numerous tanks in the past but its been a few yrs. What I have is a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump setup ( reef octopus skimmer NWB 110& A Eheim return pump 3000)and I want to have the correct air flow & lighting to have the option to do reef and corals down the road. I have approx. 75# live rock too. My question is what type of lighting ( I want LED)( I know there is all types, what do I look for in lighting)?What about the Fluval brand strip? I used to have the vho type and want to replace these and mount the new ones in my canopy) What do you recommend and what type of power heads and size. I want the type that is magnetic and attach to the side of the tank glass for water movement Thank you for any and all advice.
Hi lmgalion,

Congratulations with this good idea ;)
What fish do you plan to have in this new tank?

Zhenya