Starting again

Mark666

Quite a few years back I had a 55 gal FOWLR aquarium with around a 4" sand bed. I want to get into it again but want to stay simple. FO is what I'm thinking. What substrates are recommended for a FO tank with no live rock, just a few decorative corals. I know CC used to be a big "no-no" is that still the case? What does everyone recommend? Thanks!!

lmforbis

Simple tank I’d still use some rock although I’d use dry rock. You need the surface area of the Rick to colonize bacteria. Fake coral won’t give you that be will it give the fish a low stress habitat.
id do a 1 inch sand bed of Argonite sand, not play sand. It doesn’t need to be live sand.

with rock you won’t really need any more filtration. A HOB filter can be used but you don’t need it. The bacteria on the rock will keep the water clean.

a few snails and hermits to clean up wold be good.

jay0705

I agree. Some rock is needed, not only for filtration but to feed your fish. They eat more stuff off it then you would think

Mark666

Simple tank I’d still use some rock although I’d use dry rock. You need the surface area of the Rick to colonize bacteria. Fake coral won’t give you that be will it give the fish a low stress habitat.
id do a 1 inch sand bed of Argonite sand, not play sand. It doesn’t need to be live sand.

with rock you won’t really need any more filtration. A HOB filter can be used but you don’t need it. The bacteria on the rock will keep the water clean.

a few snails and hermits to clean up wold be good.
How much rock?

lmforbis

It depends in if it is live or dry. If dry there are ask kinds that have different densitie. I like Pukani from BRS. It is light su even though the per pound price is higher it costs less than others. It also has lots of hidey holes for fish.

beaslbob

IMHO you should start the system with macro algae (usually in a refugium). that way it's balanced and stabilized right from the start and much easier to maintain.

But that's just me and my .02

Mark666

IMHO you should start the system with macro algae (usually in a refugium). that way it's balanced and stabilized right from the start and much easier to maintain.

But that's just me and my .02
So the Macro will be ok with just live sand and rock to start the system?

lmforbis

the macro algae should be added after the cycle is complete. Macro algae will remove the ammonia before the bacteria can break it down. I know that sounds like a good thing but it isn’t. Scientifically speaking the macro won’t give you a balanced system until your bacterial cultures are properly established. The bacteria colonies you are trying to establish on the rocks need that ammonia to grow. If the macro algae is using it all up that will happen at a very slow rate. I know Bob will disagree with me but he is wrong. You need a good solid bacterial culture before you add macro algae.
The system starts with sand and rock and a source of ammonia. I ghost feed some add a dead raw shrimp, your dry rock may have enough dead material on it to do that. What ever you do DO NOT add any fish to cycle the tank, not even a mollie. You can add bottled bacteria like Dr Tim’s or a small piece of live rock to seed the bacteria. Once your cycle is complete, add macro algae to the refugium.