Starting over after 3/5 died

Fyrefightr

Help please. I have a FOWLR tank as of the moment and had an ich outbreak that killed 2 clowns and one green chromis. I still have 2 chromis doing great (eating and chasing each other). As soon as I noticed the white spots on one of the clowns, I treated the entire tank (32g) with Kordons Ich Attach. One clown and one chromis died the next day and about 4 days later the second clown died. Im on my second week of dosing twice a day with the ich attack. The two other chromis are fine. My plan is to continue dosing with Ich Attach for another two weeks. (4weeks total). Do a water change and go from there. My tank is crystal clear despite having no carbon in it. I have done weekly checks and all parameters are fine with Nitrates hanging at 10-20 due to no water changes during this dosing. I have ordered a quarantine tank and will set it up when it arrives Tuesday or Wednesday.

My main question is when is it safe to add new fish? I will quarantine all fish in the future. I bought these from Petland and think they had it when I purchased them. Also is 4 weeks of dosing with Ich attach long enough? I have never seen any spots on the chromis so I dont know when the cycle will end other than going with 21 days from the second clown succumbing.

silverado61

A simple 10g tank with an HOB filter, heater and T5 lighting along with a couple of 6 inch pieces of PVC tubing to hide will do fine for a QT. No sand, rocks or ornaments. As it is now, you need to wait 6-8 weeks before adding any new fish. And that's after the new fish have been QT'd for at least a month. Rule of thumb, only add one fish at a time to your display so none of the fish get stressed out from the new additions and to allow the bio-load to adjust. Patience is not only a virtue but it's essential in this hobby to ensure the health and vitality these living creatures.

As far as the Ich Attack? I'm not familiar with that.

silverado61

BTW: Any local "pet store" that sells more than just fish are not too concerned about the fish dept. To them they're just "fish". Not pets like cats, dogs or birds. They'll sell you as many fish as you want and they probably don't test their water or QT their new stock. I'd be surprised if they do a proper acclimation let alone QT before adding them to their displays. Find a LFS that sells nothing but fish, inverts or coral. Even then, be vary, vary careful what you buy. Ask them questions but be sure you already know the right answers just to test to see if they really know what they're doing. And don't impulse buy anything. Know what you want and do your research before going.

lmforbis

The current fish need to be removed and treated for ich, either copper or hyposalinity. Ich attack doesn't treat ich. The tank needs to be left fallow for 72 days to allow the parasite to die off. Then you can add your remaining fish back and start quarantining new fish.

Fyrefightr

A simple 10g tank with an HOB filter, heater and T5 lighting along with a couple of 6 inch pieces of PVC tubing to hide will do fine for a QT. No sand, rocks or ornaments. As it is now, you need to wait 6-8 weeks before adding any new fish. And that's after the new fish have been QT'd for at least a month. Rule of thumb, only add one fish at a time to your display so none of the fish get stressed out from the new additions and to allow the bio-load to adjust. Patience is not only a virtue but it's essential in this hobby to ensure the health and vitality these living creatures.

As far as the Ich Attack? I'm not familiar with that.
http://www.**************.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12100&cmpid=03cseYY&ref=6194&subref=AA&cmpid=PLA_G_6194&gclid=CjwKCAjw87PNBRBAEiwA0XAIr7-Rn58HLBzyv9Cl_bkEHUccCBuqdEjiljZW4dKKz5Ij03iPlaW64RoC6LAQAvD_BwE

Fyrefightr

The current fish need to be removed and treated for ich, either copper or hyposalinity. Ich attack doesn't treat ich. The tank needs to be left fallow for 72 days to allow the parasite to die off. Then you can add your remaining fish back and start quarantining new fish.
when I do that do I just ghost feed to keep the tank cycled?

Fyrefightr

I can take my fish out as soon as the new quarantine tank comes in this week and I get it set up

Fyrefightr

When I ordered my 10g QT items I also ordered a UV sterilizer for my DT. I did purchase 5ea 45 degree angle pvc connectors as well as (5) "T" fittings, a 3 stage HOB filter, heater, and light kit.