Suggestions for Downsizing

JHolmes

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, and though I'm not new to the hobby, I'm ignorant on aspects. I'm looking for some suggestions on tanks, filters, refugia, etc. Here's my situation. I currently have what I believe is either a 39 or maybe 45G saltwater tank with live rock, hermit crabs, and two black and white ocellaris clownfish. It's at my mom's because when I moved I couldn't bring it with me. I'll be moving to a new apartment where I can have the aquarium, but I have to keep it under 35G because I'm going to be on an upper floor. The tank was originally given to me by a friend, and so I kept most of the supplies she had with it, including an over the side filter, protein skimmer, and lighting which if I remember correctly holds two T8 bulbs, but I've added a canister filter with a UV light. The tank has been taken over by hair algae, which I've tried pulling and turning off the light, but it seems pretty hopeless. Since I'll have to get a new tank anyway, I was going to just totally start over with a new setup before transferring my animals. I never really looked much into other setups that may be better, such as a refugium or the like, but now that I can start from scratch, I'd like to try to make the setup better than what I had before. If anyone has any suggestions for tank brands that may be better than others, or if I should change my filtration system, or add a sump or refugium, or can point me to where I can find this information, I'd really appreciate it. I've been looking at different column tanks, because I think those look nice, and I've seen some JBJ and BioCube tanks with built-in filtration, but I didn't know if they were really worth the price or if I'd be better off getting just a regular tank and setting up my own filtration system. I would like to have a set up that would allow me to add a carpet anemone in the future, and perhaps a benthic fish such as a goby or blenny. Thanks!

lmforbis

Carpet anemones require a ton of light and get huge. They are known fish eaters as well so any fish or mobile invert is a possible meal. I would recommend against that. You could do a mini maxi carpet anemone but clowns won't go to it. With enough light a bubble tip anemone would work. You need a mature tank before you even consider an anemone, 9-12 months.

As far as the tank any in that size range will work. It just has to hold water. Are you limited by the apartment to 35 gallons? If not the 40 gallon breeder is a great size.
Some people love the bio cubes. I've never had one but have been intrigued by them.
Depending on what you want to spend the Red Sea reefer tanks are amazing. Marineland has a number of different cube tanks that look quite nice.

JHolmes

Good to know about the anemone. I've had the clowns for a couple of years now without an anemone, so I think I may rethink that. Definitely something for the distant future though.

I am limited by my landlord to 35 gallons, unfortunately. I'll look into those aquariums, though. Thank you for the information.