Sump x Canister - I need help !

Fernando Parra

Hello everyone!

I am setting up a new saltwater fish tank, it has approximately 200G, I don't have a good space below of the display to install a sump, to install this sump I would need to change my stand and I really don't want to do that.

My question is, is it possible to use a canister filter instead of a sump for this saltwater tank? I know that the sump are important to fit all the equipment inside the sump instead of the main display but in my situation I am considering to install only a canister and keep the heater and a protein skimmer (hang on) inside the main display. Will it works for this tank?

My another concern is about the nitrate, I have heard that if I setup my tank with a canister the level of nitrate could be higher, is it true or just a myth?

Thank you.
Fernando Parra

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post a picture of the area space in question. Don't want to totally rule out a better option by going with a canister. Nitrates are frequently an issue with canister unless you are changing media frequently (which defeats part of the function of the canister which is to provide bio filtration).

Are you going for reef? Live rock?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Which is why I suggested he let us see under the tank area to see if some brainstorming would result in a better option. He said he can't fit a sump, but its 200 gals so what's underneath there that is too little space? Also, a canister is no substitute for a skimmer by a long shot. He still will needs a skimmer.

2quills

If there's a will then there's a way. Agree that it would be best to see what you're working with before offering suggestions. Could maybe do a small sump with a external skimmer (not a hob).

Are you wanting to do fish only or a reef tank?

Fernando Parra

space in question. Don't want to totally rule out a better option by going with a canister. Nitrates are frequently an issue with canister unless you are changing media frequently (which defeats part of the function of the canister which is to provide bio filtration).

Are you going for reef? Live rock?
Hi, I have a plan to build a reef tank with different kinds of corals and a few fishes. You guys helped me a lot, I gave up of the idea to buy a canister instead of a sump. I really have never seen a 200G saltwater tank with a canister! Probably it does not make sense! Thank you guys so much for all help provided to me! I really appreciate!

Fernando Parra

Hello everyone,

I am glad with so many answer in my post. I am new here because that I have so many questions, I will try to install a traditional sump below this tank, I have a plan to build a reef tank with different kinds of corals (soft and hard) and a few fishes. I already ordered the 3 led lightning of 165W (the cheapest I found at Amazon.com) each one to install in the canopy (that I built). Do you guys believe that I will have enough illumination to grown the corals?

I gave up of the idea to buy a canister instead of a sump. I really have never seen a 200G saltwater tank with a canister! Probably it does not make sense! I will open another topic in the forum about the sump, I don't want to pay a lot of money in a new brand sump, my idea would be buy a 20 gallon glass and convert in a sump, what do you guys think about it?

So, do you guys know what is the correct tank size to built a sump for a 200G tank? If you guys have any sump project that you can share with me I will really appreciate, I have never tried to build anything like that! It will be a challenge!

How many pounds of live sand do I need for a 200G (6ft x 2ft x 2.2ft) ?
How many pounds and what kind of media do I need to use inside the sump?
How many pounds of live rock do I need for a 200G?

I don't know what else I need to finish this nice project, if you guys have any issue to share, please feel free! :)

I am sorry about so many questions and thank you guys so much for all help provided to me!
Fernando Parra

Last edited:

one-fish

DIY sumps are not hard to build I built mine for a 55 gal from a 20 gal tank. There are plenty youtube vids showing you how. Good Luck !!!!

2quills

A good general rule for sump size is roughly 1/3rd the size of the display tank.

Off the top of my head I'd probably be considering using dual 40g breeder tanks and connect them together to make one large sump. The nice thing about 40g breeders is they're not very tall so they usually fit well under most manufactured stands. But the width gives you extra water volume.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How much LR is very subjective. If you like massive walls of rock that are going look like you're in a a sinkhole of rock work and reef than, you will want a great deal. However, if you want larger fish and lots of room for more corals and space to allow corals to grow out, then less rock.

Here is tank with a good deal of LR

Here is one with open space, much less LR

florida joe

Right off the bat slow down, hard and soft corals require great lighting. you cant go cheap think about doing away with the canopy. I think Beth means a good deal of coral BTW that top pic is a big bucks tank