Sumps

I have a 20 gallon breeder tank with few live rocks in it. Should I put a LED light on the sump or just leave it? I don’t have the return pump separated from the larger compartment so I do not have a sand bed in it. Was that a mistake?

silverado61

You should put chambers in the sump with bubble traps. For a 20 breeder you could probably get away with only two chambers. The overflow going into the first chamber with the live rock and your return pump in the second chamber. I wouldn't worry about putting sand in. The rocks will do the same job of filtration in my opinion.

lmforbis

I’d suggest chambers as well. At least one for he return pump to keep things out of it. I just have rock in my sump and my skimmer and my starry Benny who decided to move out of the display. I don’t like sand in the sump. I want to have chaeto in my sump but I can’t keep it alive.

Okay. I have one & inch chamber that my overflow goes into so I can add a skimmer later. That feeds into a small bubble traps. The rest is wide open with rocks and return pump.

lmforbis

An additional divider between the rocks and return would allow you to have a Refugium for things like pods and you could have macro algae in it. The macroalgae helps with nitrate removal.

silverado61

If it was the question about using lava rock, I read it and responded with my opinion. Others may have a different take on it though.