Sun Coral

rispa

Hello, I have no experience with coral and wanted to get more info before getting one. Sun corals don't require special and are seahorse safe and are one of my favorites so far, so I wanted to learn some more about them. What are ideal water conditions for them? I've read that they should be fed once a day towards night and kept in a shaded part of the tank. There's a person on craigslist selling them, so I've been kind of thinking about trying one, but I have a feeling I'm jumping ahead of myself.
sun coral
also looking at the worm, frag and sponge in this one
and the xenia in this one, but I think these guys need certain lighting right?
Any guides for coral would be appreciated :) I'd also love some personal adivce

btldreef

sun coral's are a great coral, but i don't know if i would consider them a good beginner's choice. that being said, you know you need to feed them daily, so you should be okay. i feed my daily with pe mysis, i just take forceps and place one mysis shrimp in eat mouth. they ar incredibly easy to feed. they do best in medium current and medium to low lighting. i have might in open light, but at the bottom of the tank in the sand.

as for the other corals and worm. all those should be fine as well, but i would stay away from xenia. they spread like weeds and many people regret putting it in their tanks.

what type of lighting do you have

rispa

for the moment I only have the basic tank lighting that you get with tanks from petsmart or *****. I haven't bothered getting lighting for the 55 gallon yet because I haven't decided for sure what type I want. My mom and her bf seem a bit light sensitive, so I'm hesitant to go as bright as I want to, but I'd like to be able to keep a few corals and algae. I may stick with sun coral and just put them all over the tank. I love how they look :) That tank still isn't up and running yet though. I'm still hunting for a used stand, but I'm at the point that I may just buy a new one.

PS: What about the frag? Do you think it could live in my lighting? And thanks for the xenia tip. I also don't know calcium or kh in my water yet, so I need to get a test kit for those.

btldreef

i don't know if the frag could survive in basic lighting ....

you should google non-photosynthetic tanks, they're very colorful and require no light, so your light would just accent

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/380442/sun-coral#post_3311140
sun coral's are a great coral, but i don't know if i would consider them a good beginner's choice. that being said, you know you need to feed them daily, so you should be okay. i feed my daily with pe mysis, i just take forceps and place one mysis shrimp in eat mouth. they ar incredibly easy to feed. they do best in medium current and medium to low lighting. i have might in open light, but at the bottom of the tank in the sand.
as for the other corals and worm. all those should be fine as well, but i would stay away from xenia. they spread like weeds and many people regret putting it in their tanks.
what type of lighting do you have
sun corals are a and beautiful corals however,... they do tank time and great care in feeding. My wife and I have a cut out plastic coke bottle and we put it over the coral. We then take a turkey baster and squirt (gently) mysis or brine into it and let the coral catch them. It would be a godd idea to soak the food in some vitamins for a few minutes first.

rispa

I've seen some images of the coke bottle setup and was planning on doing that. I'm not ready to try a sun coral yet, but I definitely would like to in the future. I think I'm going to try cycling the 20g and turning it into a sun coral/zoa/invert tank

katsafados

I wouldnt buy a suncoral if your just starting out. I had one and they are a pain to feed and take care of so I sold it back. Yes they are nice, but youll have to train it to stay open in the day time since they usually open up when the light are out.
Like I said its a beautiful coral but a pain!

zoie2

I miss my sun coral. I got one when I just started, the LFS said it was a YELLOW coral not a SUN corral. I had researched the sun coral and knew I didn't want to get one yet cause I was new. He assured me it was a fliter feeder and fine for a beginner.
It was a sun coral. I did start feeding it though and it lived for a year and spread, got bigger. then my tank crashed. A piece of my fan fell in the tank when I was changing my lights and the iron wire in it killed many of my coral.

I didn't replace it though, because they are a lot of work. I cut up pieces of frozen food, put it on a wooden stick and fed each polyp. It was cool to watch them grab the food. Mine stayed open during the day for a while.

rispa

I still wish to try a small frag. Not yet, but in the future. I have only two corals I want; sun coral and zoanthids. I may try some others that my family like, like colt coral, but they aren't my main interest.

kiefers

okay..... your in Houston Texas and you want a Colt coral? hahahhaa get it Colt... colts!?!?! Indianapolis, ........ Lol never mind.......... Lol