Tank heater?

Purdy0753

Looking for recommendations for a tank heater for a 115 gallon tank would prefer one small enough to fit in the sump with its own temp control. Any advice is much appreciated!

lmforbis

I use cobalt aquatics heaters. I like to use 2 in case one craps out. I also only put one in the sump the other in the tank. Heaters are known to get stuck either on or off. With 2 you have a bit more time to discover the problem. I also have mine plugged into a reef keeper lite. That will cut the power to them if the water gets too warm. It also is set for an audible alarm if the temp goes too high or too low. Heater failures are a common cause of tank crashes.

Purdy0753

Do you need to have one in the tank? I have lids that are sealed to keep a snowflake all in really would like to try and not modify them! Would it be ok to just have 2 in the sump together?

Purdy0753

I also just realized I put this in the wrong section. I meant to put it in the new guys category! Sorry about that

silverado61

I used a Finnex 500w titanium heater with a digital controller in my 72g. I only had a variance of 1-2 deg between the tank and sump.

lmforbis

You can put it only in the sump. If your return pump fails, though, the tank won't be heated.
I understand about the eel. I lost mine to an escape.