Tank is Close to Cycling but...

Jonathan Mejia

Hello everyone,

I have been doing a fishless cycle for a month now, my ph is 7.9, my ammonia is 0.50ppm, nitrite is around 2.0ppm or 5.0ppm cant really tell the difference the test looks similar to both, and nitrate is 0.20ppm.
I have been using the api saltwater master kit. When testing nitrite, after putting the drops in, the water turns dark blue for about three seconds and instantly turn purple. My questions are:
1) Is the nitrite suppose to turn purple basically right away? If nitrite is too high, how do I lower it?
2) Is my tank close to being cycled? If so how long?

This is going to a seahorse tank. I was wondering if I can apply stability and prime to get the ammonia and nitrite down.

Last edited:

silverado61

Any ammonia, no matter how small the reading can be deadly to fish and invertebrates.
I would consider getting a different test kit. API is well known for giving bad readings. For all you know your cycle is complete. But don't assume that until you test with a different kit.

Jonathan Mejia

Any ammonia, no matter how small the reading can be deadly to fish and invertebrates.
I would consider getting a different test kit. API is well known for giving bad readings. For all you know your cycle is complete. But don't assume that until you test with a different kit.
Okay I will get a different test, also would stability and prime help my nitrite and ammonia levels go down?

lmforbis

Okay I will get a different test, also would stability and prime help my nitrite and ammonia levels go down?
Prime will slow it down. The ammonia is food for the bacteria. The goal of the initial cycling is to build the bacteria population up to a level it can handle the waste in the tank. The cycle never really stops, it is the process where waste is detoxified by bacteria. The initial part is getting that bacteria population established.

Jonathan Mejia

Prime will slow it down. The ammonia is food for the bacteria. The goal of the initial cycling is to build the bacteria population up to a level it can handle the waste in the tank. The cycle never really stops, it is the process where waste is detoxified by bacteria. The initial part is getting that bacteria population established.
Should i add more ammonia then? And apply stability ?

silverado61

Again, I wouldn't add anything until you get a better test kit. Adding anything now could be the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot.

lmforbis

Just be patient. It takes time and rushing will only cause problems. That pretty much is true for everything in this hobby. Patience patience patience.

geridoc

When I cycle a tank using ammonium chloride it routinely takes 6 weeks to establish adequate bacterial colonies to lower ammonia and nitrite levels to zero. As Imforbis said, patience, patience, patience. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.