Tank Size Requirements for Fish

bigfish77

Been doing plenty research online and finding some conflicting minimum suggestions for tank size required for various fish. What are the true gallons required for angels (large) specifically Black, Emperor, and Blue Ring. Trying to plan as much as possible before buying a new tank. I did fresh for years and really thinking about pushing for salt. Shooting to purchase traditional 6 foot 180 but might step up to 210 or 220. Wanting fish only tank...

lmforbis

I wouldn't go less than a 220. You wouldn't likely be able to have more than one especially not the black and blue ring. They look too much alike and will fight.

bigfish77

220 with 6x2 foot print is ok for emperor? I am assuming I will buy colored semi-adult and grow it out. Assuming I go with Emperor would these be suitable tank-mates?
1-Red Tail Triggerfish (Xanthichthys sp.)
3-Raccoon Butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula)
1-Lyretail Wrasse (Thalassoma lunare)
1-Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
1-Potter's Angelfish
1-Possible other dwarf Angel Fish species...
1-Blonde Naso Tang
Possibly school of smaller chromis or a few anthia but not sure if trigger would try to snack on them?

Jay and Imforbis, I appreciate all your replies..in process of planning out what to purchase..

lmforbis

Agree with the dwarf angels.
Skip the butterfly, too many active fish that will out compete it for food.
Min tank, according to live aquaria, for a emperor is 220. They get big and will contribute a huge Bioload, as will the trigger and the tangs. Your tank needs to be able to handle that as well as the actual fish.
I wouldn't do less than an 8' tank for large angels.

lmforbis

The genacanthus angels like the lamarks or watanabi don't get quite so big. Large angels need a big tank. That is just the way it is. They like to swim. You put a full grown angel that is 8-10 inches in a tank that is 72 inches long they don't have any room to swim. The same goes for some of the tangs You can put a large lionfish or puffer in a 72" tank and they will be fine because their behavior is different and they don't need as much swim space.