TDS

1guydude

Tds stands for total dissolved solids...we measure tds so we know wat "hardness: are water is. The solvents could and probably are minerals, metals, chemicals, and other lil tiny micro things are eyes cant see. You can purchase a tds meter for relatively a cheap price. For instance i recently purchased one for under $25 online.
Yesterday and today ive been trying to set up my RO/DI filter....(reverse osmosis de-ioniztation). So i can get a 0tds reading. Which is something we should all strive for!
I tested my tap water and got a reading of 98tds....why o why did i fill my 1st tank up with this! Probably cause i didnt know...
I tested my RO water that i purchase down the street at the grocery....2tds
Waaayyyyyy better but still not good enough.
Finally today I said screw it and hooked up some hoses that came with my RO/DI and decided to get her goin....after flushing the unit and waiting about 5min, i took my fish cup and filled it up 1/4 of the way. 0TDS!!!!!
Finally the result i was looking for....now i can fill up all those dreaded water jugs without hauling them around! One thing about 0tds water that i know is that it is the purest of the pure and it will try and suck up anything unpure! So make sure to lid ur water!
All in all i think a RO/DI unit is a good investment...behind lights and filters imo!
This simple piece of equipment can rid u of nasty algae outbreaks and ur coral and fish will be happy too!

geoj

Just one thing to add, the TDS reading does not include chlorine, chloramine, nitrate or other like wastes. So You need to replace those carbon filters before low levels get through and in to the tank. So just because you read TDS at zero does not mean you have pure water.

1guydude

well pretty pure lol...also tds meters arent made for testing ur aquarium water...why idk lol
Only for sources of water not containing salt i believe!
Thxs for the input geo!

I have a question I have been using tap water for about 10 months. I never knew there was special equipment for this. Can anyone tell me how to use it or how it work?

1guydude

just a meter that u dip in the water....mine ur only supposed to dip it past the meter prong thing.
Theyre only like $30 and a good indicator of ur home water and the water u use for ur tank, but not for SALT water! Only for fresh watetr before u add salt!
The water filter is a lil more spendy though.....they range from $70-$400+....mine i won in a raffle which i suggest everyone try to join or make a reef club and get some sponsers! Dang hobby.... / addiction!

Thanks I'm having problems with my tank can't keep anything alive well besides coral. so I'm ganna have to get this stuff see if this dose it for me. Thank you

E

eric b 125

funny, my friend just won a tds meter last night at our reef club. i tested my water: 219ppm before kati/ani, and 002 after kati/ ani. good ole pittsburgh water.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/387686/tds#post_3413085
Tds stands for total dissolved solvents...we measure tds so we know wat "hardness: are water is. The solvents could and probably are minerals, metals, chemicals, and other lil tiny micro things are eyes cant see. You can purchase a tds meter for relatively a cheap price. For instance i recently purchased one for under $25 online.
TDS - total dissolved solids

bang guy

I just wanted to mention that there are TDS meters that will instantly and fairly accurately test the salinity of your water. Not directly but there's an easy conversion chart and unlike testing Specific Gravity it's not affected significantly by temperature (at normale reef temperatures anyway). On my meter 54,000 µS/cm correlates to about 35ppt Salinity.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/387686/tds#post_3447758
I just wanted to mention that there are TDS meters that will instantly and fairly accurately test the salinity of your water. Not directly but there's an easy conversion chart and unlike testing Specific Gravity it's not affected significantly by temperature (at normale reef temperatures anyway). On my meter 54,000 µS/cm correlates to about 35ppt Salinity.
Interesting application for a TDS meter anyway you could post that chart Bang Guy.

1guydude

hmmm so ur saying that even though we cant measure our tank water, we can apply this equation and look at the chart? Or is this a more spendy device?

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/387686/tds#post_3447770
Interesting application for a TDS meter anyway you could post that chart Bang Guy.
Al I am almost certain that this is the formula you can use to construct your own chart
TDS (mg/L) = water salinity (?S/cm) x 0.6 (approximately)